Big forum upgrade ahead - what you need to know!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
staggerlee said:
Regarding t-shirts. If anyone is fielding ideas for a design. I'd surely buy >1 if it said on the back:

Users of wide-range equipment should adjust their controls to the RIAA curve for best results.

I'll submit:

For proper audio performance, use a 300B as the regulator pass tube for the TV sweep tube output stage.

:D

AF - I sent you an email. Please respond :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
woody said:
Back to the upgrade. Will there still be that 102k limit to pictures posted?

AudioFreak said:
There will be fewer limits in general and they will be considerably larger than they are now.

oh No! I sure hope not! There is NO reason that images posted should be over 100K. It just isn't needed for web viewing. Slows down everything for no reason at all. Just because some people here don't know how to use a camera or image software.... :whazzat:

Do we need an image wiki?

The 100K limit is OK for photos. However, I've had a heck of a time getting decent looking pdf's of schematics under that limit. At that resolution the designators are right on the edge of being illegible. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've tried a lot of things to improve the situation.

I'd say that at least 200K is needed as a decent minimum. 600K would be luxurious.

Graeme

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hmmm..... looks like I DO need to start an image wiki. ;)

Rare, rare, rare is the image posted here that really needs more than 100K. Bigger than that is just a PITA.

For photos. Use jpeg - medium to low quality compression is just fine.

For graphics and schematics, use GIF. Or if you like PNG-8.

For details, use a close up!

Sorry for the OT. Pet peeve of mine.

SimontY said:
I agree in principal, and I know a lot about manipulating photos and graphics, but 100Kb is NOT always enough. I'll keep saying it :clown:

Anything over about 640 x 480 with lots of detail will need to be over 100Kb to lot have serious compression artifacts.

A Wiki on this sounds like a grand idea.

Simon
then use an intermediary for files bigger than 100k or bigger then 1000pixel.
But don't direct the intermediary to auto download big files.
Make it compulsory to thumbnail the big files and let the member choose which pics to download.

Here is a 1 MB photo reduced to 76 KB with 1000 pixel max count. Still seems to look OK.

Attachments

• 122-2271smaller.jpg
    122-2271smaller.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,080
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cal Weldon said:
Still seems to look OK.

Perfect. And that's a tough one because of all the foliage detail.

It can be done. (And I may budge a bit to, say, 150K. The trouble is that most images will hit that size then, even when they don't need to.)

So yeah, we need to get working on an image wiki - it would be a good thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.