Big forum upgrade ahead - what you need to know!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great idea.

It's a great idea to up grade all the features on the forum. 'Search' could be improved a lot.
Forr mentioned about the colour . Is there any possibility that one could change the display colour to suit personal preferences ?

Anyone game for small two weeks projects to show when the new site is up ? Just a wild thought !;)
Hope the 'down period' will not be more than two weeks !:eek:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wow, best of luck guys! There will be much hair pulling, I'm sure.

FWIW, the present forum is very nice from a users point of view. Simple, easy - and best of all - we're used to it.
It's really only the search that bothers me.

Will this new format spring to life some new sections/catagories?

Originally posted by Geek

I hope it all goes smooth. I don't envy you the task

What, just replacing an old application with an entirely re-written one? What could possibly go wrong? :eek:

I spend quite a bit of my time on web-app user interface design, and I second pano's remark: search capabilities aside, the existing interface is a terrific one.

Good luck - I'm looking forward to seeing what you've come up with.

Regards.

Aengus

The Dark Side

:darkside: No matter how sincerely I try, I have been plagued with chronic failure for most of my life. I have had many friends tell me that I have the worst luck they have ever seen...
I grew up writing programs and playing with software on a Commodore 64, Apple IIe, and others. I went to college for a useless education in computer science. About 9 years ago, I made an honest attempt to make a living on the Web with a combination of eBay and my first attempt at a commercial software package, a stand-alone HTML editor made especially for sprucing up auction listings.
I spent months writing the software, beta-testing, and finally tweaking based on actual user feedback. It was a great program and was eventually bug free and quite good at making professional auction listings BUT it took months and a TON of work. It was one of my biggest personal successes but was also a financial failure and, ultimately, a waste of time.

My Warning To DIYaudio:
-------------------------------
Take it from a programmer/pessimist - Don't change a thing. :no:

Other posters have already stated how excellent this forum is. It is fast, basic, stable with the best technical content I have ever personally seen on the Net. The search engine may be lacking, but I do fine with an in-site search by Google.

I am currently having my hours cut to part-time at work and I will literally be living on the street by the end of March - now this!! :bawling:
I swear it's just too much.

If you are going to do this, dear God be careful and back up everything, I mean everything 3 times on 3 different drives (or more, computers are evil). When you can't get anything to work right, start a second site with a new dot com name and put this old forum back up, unmoderated if need be.

I cannot imagine life without access to all this amazing info presented in such an amazing way. :scared:
DIYaudio rules!!
Good luck anyway :xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.