Big forum upgrade ahead - what you need to know!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't need the new version Now.
Soon would be nice.

What I really need is for the programmers to stop tinkering with the live version, causing various delays and wrong error messages and "done" when clearly it's not displaying the requested page.

Judging by the high number of duplicate posts, it seems I'm not the only member being affected.

AndrewT said:
What I really need is for the programmers to stop tinkering with the live version

That may be a problem with V-Bulletin not the tinkerers. When the boys are doing something they let us know in the backroom.

Judging by the high number of duplicate posts, it seems I'm not the only member being affected. [/B]

Same thing. I have similar concerns with this server. That's one of the reasons for going with the new software and provider. It doesn't even touch on the feelings I have for my IP though. Ugh! Geek can probably relate if his starts with 'S' and ends with 'haw'.

There's more than one reason for duplicate posts, including new members having to wait in the queue, not knowing their post was recently cleared.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Canada-land is Perfect

:cop:

MadeinCanada.gif

May I suggest to change layout format?

Hi.

Great news for improving.

What layout of the new format looks like?

Frankly I don't like at all this so called "classic" display currently used as it is hard to review at a quick scroll down what other new topics being displayed & discussed. Please don't get offended by my being so up-front.

I really like the OPEN display layout format like the Audio Asylum where the readers can review ALL the threads of different topcis & get easier access to answer various topics being discussed. The Audo Asylum also has the same "classical" display like yours, but we can switch to the open display format which every reader likes to use as it is so much easier to read & to get access to various topics & threads being discussed.

c-J

'open' format suggested

Hi. Dave.

Please click to www.audioasylum.com & you will read it got 2 display formats: one 'classic' same as diyAudio now using, & an
'open' display where you can read the threads all displayed on the page & replies to each thread with tiitle (or "quote"). You can read the whole page & know what is going on with glance.

I don't mean this 'classic' layout format is no good, but I think I find the 'open' display format is so much easier to read & to reply to.

Very flankly, this is the main reason why I've chosen to post there in the past vs diyAudio though Jason is a great guy to work with. I appreciate very much indeed for his good gesture of posting his welcoming statement for me. Very nice of him indeed

c-J

Re: 'open' format suggested

cheap-Jack said:

I don't mean this 'classic' layout format is no good, but I think I find the 'open' display format is so much easier to read & to reply to.

I whole heartedly disagree. I find that aa is probably the most cumbersome and inefficient forum for reading. When responding to someone it is much better to use a quote button than a million threads within threads.

cumbersome. inefficient. and when someone is using a different view... confusing.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: 'open' format suggested

cheap-Jack said:
Please click to www.audioasylum.com & you will read it got 2 display formats: one 'classic' same as diyAudio now using, & an 'open' display where you can read the threads all displayed on the page & replies to each thread with tiitle (or "quote"). You can read the whole page & know what is going on with glance.

When i go to AA i see 3 possible display -- the 1st 2 look the same with different sort order (called Classic & threads) and then one called eThreads which looks like the forum view... no "open" format so i'm not sure what you mean (attached is the profile settings sitting on top of a view of classic).

I find the AA classic format very hard to wade thru. Nothing here on diyA resembles it.

Here I mostly use the new thread view which shows the last 100 threads that have had a post.

dave

Attachments

• aa.gif
    aa.gif
    76.2 KB · Views: 339
Re: Re: 'open' format suggested

d to the g said:

I find that aa is probably the most cumbersome and inefficient forum for reading. When responding to someone it is much better to use a quote button than a million threads within threads.

cumbersome. inefficient. and when someone is using a different view... confusing.

no kidding, I find the aa format ridiculously cumbersome/inefficient also. and all this time I thought it was just me.

Bing - Dave re AA's 'classic' ..

Hi. Dave.

Yes, as you posted the image of AA's 'classic' - sorted by date posted. This is the format nearly all AA readers go for.

It is just reading a newspaper - we know immediately what's latest title topics being posted in that forum, e;g. tube/DIY, & what replies already posted to that title topic. Its readers can click to reply to the particular thread right-the-way.

On the contrary, I just can't get such freedom of posting & reply to the particular thread here. Like this reply to your thread, I have to "bing - Dave" to get yr attention to my reply to yr post as the system here does not allow my post to immediately attach to yr post to attract yr attention. Instead, my post reply to yours has to 'line up' behind other posters. Imagine there are many posts in front of my reply to yr post, it is very difficult for you & me to talk 'face tio face'.

Is there any way I can choose an alternative format like AA's clasaic sorted by latest date/time posted? FYI, I used to post quite of few threads of various topics every day in AA.

c-J

Re: Re: Bing - Dave re AA's 'classic' ..

boywonder said:

Doesn't the "quote" button allow this one-to-one exchange?

Hi.

Pardon me as a stranger here & a slow learner to this new posting system.

That said, image Dave was off for a week & when he came back there were 1 zillion other posts 'lined up' behind his post one week ago before he left. Would it be hard for him to sort out which were the posts replying to his?

Likewise, if I would be off for a month, & when I come back after a month, most likely I have to search who posted what to me as there would be a zillion posts lined up after your post which you expect a reply from me. Right?

c-J

I accept that the current format does not facilitate one-to-one exchanges. I add, that's one of the reasons I like it.

Threads are about a topic, not a person. Certainly there is a need sometimes to wade through off-topic, inane, or tiresome-in-some-other-way posts; but in general most of the posts to most of the threads are interesting and germane.

If you feel that one of your responses may be of interest to a previous poster who posted several pages back, there is the option of pinging or e-mailing. But when I, as a third party, am reading the thread, I like to see the back-and-forth play of ideas and responses - all of them.

That having been said, if there's an option for multiple views of the same data (and this doesn't impose additional overheads on the maintainer(s) or moderators) then an additional view allowing one to follow responses to a given post would do no harm and, for those who want the facility, would do some good. So, subject to the underlined constraint, it may be worth looking at.

Regards.

Aengus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.