6n9p+6p3p Tube Amplifier Kit SRK-10 help needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Siliconray Online Electronics Store

Siliconray Online Electronics Store Amplifier boards, HiFi components, tubes and all kinds of electronics for the DIYer from Siliconray

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2013, 06:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6n9p+6p3p Tube Amplifier Kit SRK-10 help needed

Hello friends

I have alias wanted to try to learn about tube amps, but dont want to build something cheap, i need more power than they usually have.
Later i will build a set of monoblocks with quad kt88 or kt120.
So i have lokkende for something cheap nearby, and yesterday i found a 6n9p+6p3p Tube Amplifier Kit SRK-10 just down the road from me, very little used. So i drive over and got it, and payed what in norway is near to free.
But i dont have any info on it, i need diagrams, values on the parts, etc.
Could anyone help me with this? I would appreciate any upgrade tips also, and a explenation on how to solder in bleeder resistors, so it will be more safe to work on.

Alf david
Old 9th December 2013, 02:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default 6n9p+6p3p Tube Amplifier Kit SRK-10

Hello,
Hope this can help you
Click the image to open in full size.

Siliconray team
Old 9th December 2013, 10:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thank you very much for that

do you have any recommandations for where to put, and value of, bleed resistors for this amp?
and any upgrade recommandations?
i want to use this as a learning experience, and to upgrade it as much as i can, within reason when it comes to money.
i have ordered some new tubes for it already, so i hope they will work well. i ordered a set of sylvania 5y3gt, rca nos/nib 6sl7gt black plate, and a platinum matched pair of sovtek 5881wxt/6l6wgc.
from what i could find out on the amp, they should work, or am i wrong on that?
if i am wrong, can i make any changes on the amp to make them work?
also, any suggestions for better caps that sound good, what should i look for there?

alf david
Old 11th December 2013, 02:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You can replace the 0.33uf with a better one to improve the sound quality. But if you want to do a real upgrading, find a better OTP...
Old 11th December 2013, 12:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thank you for the recommandations
do you have the values i need for a better OPT?
im a complete novice on tubeamplifiers, so i need a little more guidance than the incredibly vise members on this forum ;-)

alf david
Old 11th December 2013, 02:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi again
I have been looking for info on the bennic 0,33uf capacitors you mentioned, but i do not find anything on bennics pages about it.
I understand it is a metalliced polypropylene axial tubular non-polar cap?
Would that be correct?
I would like the amp to be as linear as possible, and to have as good top and bottom response, and detail as possible, since i play a lot of sacd, DVD-audio, and other hi-rez materiale.
So anyone please chime in with tips on best caps for this, and a possible better OPT

Alf david
Old 14th December 2013, 08:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfi1966 View Post
thank you for the recommandations
do you have the values i need for a better OPT?
im a complete novice on tubeamplifiers, so i need a little more guidance than the incredibly vise members on this forum ;-)

alf david
Take a look at these OPTs:

EDCOR - GXSE15-8-3.5K
or
EDCOR - GXSE10-8-5K

Check the size compared to what you have they should be pretty close.

I like a 3.5 to 5K load for 6L6 so there's one of each. Although if you want the best for YOU we would need to know what speakers you will be using with this amp.

As Ray mentioned that .33uF coupling capacitor can be upgraded to a better quality cap, all the signal goes directly thru that cap so the best you can afford will work. There are several, and you could spend a lifetime trying to figure out which is best there.

Russian k40y-9 should be good there and easy to get where you are.
They have a significant break in period tho and will sound a little harsh at first.
Another good capacitor is a Sprague Orange Drop 716P (has to be the 716 NOT the 715). These are cheap and good for this amp will go along with the rest of the parts here.

The .33uF cap will need to have a voltage rating no lower than 400vdc.

For a bleeder resistor ~40k Ohm 5 watt resistor across the + and - pins on cap2 (c2) 330Ohm 450V cap the largest capacitor in the amp. If you want to get clever you can add a LED diode long with the resistor, the LED will stay lit as long as there's voltage indicating no touchy. Even then you should ALWAYS use a DMM and meter the caps to be sure there's no voltage. Safety first it's the only way. 450v is going to hurt if your hand discharges it.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 15th December 2013, 04:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

thank you very much for the information
i have looked for the orange drops in 716p 0.33uf, but that does not exist, as far as i can see.
do i use a different value, or use several in paralell, to reach 0.33uf?

alf david
Old 15th December 2013, 05:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

if i am going to use a led with the bleeder resistor, what kind of led will work? what values does it need to have?

alf david
Old 16th December 2013, 11:44 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfi1966 View Post
if i am going to use a led with the bleeder resistor, what kind of led will work? what values does it need to have?

alf david
Any will work that have visible light (not IR).

Cheers,
Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!