• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Dual Channels nCore Enclosure Plan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
it's absolutely useless to make any generalization about component temperatures in this application based on the information provided.

Why it is not "useless" to me:
Since I am not building a large number of nCore amplifiers, installing a cooling fan is more cost/time efficient than running a gazillion tests as you suggested which WILL NOT lower the amplifier's temperature. The end result of all your efforts is justification for a hotter amplifier. The end result of my effort is a cooler amplifier which will probably last longer than an identical amplifier which is running hotter.

The life of an electronic device is directly related to its operating temperature. Each 10°C (18°F) temperature rise reduces component life by 50%*. Conversely, each 10°C (18°F) temperature reduction increases component life by 100%.

* Based on the Arrhenius equation, which says that time to failure is a function of e-Ea/kT where Ea = activation energy of the failure mechanism being accelerated, k = Boltzmann's constant, and T = absolute temperature.

Why it is not "useless" to me:
Since I am not building a large number of nCore amplifiers, installing a cooling fan is more cost/time efficient than running a gazillion tests as you suggested which WILL NOT lower the amplifier's temperature. The end result of all your efforts is justification for a hotter amplifier. The end result of my effort is a cooler amplifier which will probably last longer than an identical amplifier which is running hotter.

The life of an electronic device is directly related to its operating temperature. Each 10°C (18°F) temperature rise reduces component life by 50%*. Conversely, each 10°C (18°F) temperature reduction increases component life by 100%.

* Based on the Arrhenius equation, which says that time to failure is a function of e-Ea/kT where Ea = activation energy of the failure mechanism being accelerated, k = Boltzmann's constant, and T = absolute temperature.

Thanks for the proper correction.

I listed what tests would be required to make conclusions relative to another application. To repeat: on the SMPS600 Bruno the designer states the hottest component is the largest cap in the PS. Here's a simple question for you: On your amp what is the hottest component? Not a hot component. The hottest component.

You identify (IIRC) a hot component on the NC400 but I don't recall you stating it's the hottest. Maybe you don't know because such answer requires test gear you lack. So you address cooling one part when in reality maybe another part runs hotter. How, exactly, can one 1200W PS > two NC400 be stressed less than one 600W PS > one NC400? That makes absolutely no sense to me. IOW, I presume Bruno's words apply to this stereo amp, not just mono. Meaning the part you call hot is not the hottest part. Rather, the hottest part on the stereo amp is likely the largest PS cap. Did you touch that part too?

Still though, this does not mean it's not a good idea to cool your particular amp. What matters is what is the temperature of the hot components? 2nd: how does that temperature compare to manufacturer specs for this component relative to usefulness vs. age vs. component values. A motor with 17k red line might idle at 1800 RPM, while a diesel idles at a few hundred RPM.

I should have said your posted information is useless for anyone else to make conclusions whether their similar built amp would require extra cooling or not. I stand by that. It's only my opinion, worth the fee charged readers.

I'm extremely happy you found and employed a method to cool what appears to be a hot component in your application. Every audio application is unique.

Just to address one of your test parameters to demonstrate its reliability/repeatability or lack thereof: I worked with a guy with the highest tolerance (extremely low sensitivity) for hot water on his hands. We worked in a commercial building with hot water temperature much higher than domestic average. Running full hot water under the faucet would/could cause almost instant pain, yet he could hold his hands under it for a long time with no apparent pain.

NOT the guy you want to touch components to determine whether they run hot or not!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.