• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Laser Engraving Service

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Our company ordered 3 high power precision laser engraving machines recently. So we can provide custom laser engraving services now. Customers can design their own pattern to be printed on front panel, back panel or even top plate. The pattern can be characters, logos or any other diagrams, but it must be black-white.

See the awesome looking of laser engraving:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

About the material

Laser engraving machine use CO2 laser tube as source, the wavelength is 10.6um. Almost all non-metal material can absorb this wevelength very well, that means it can be used to cut or engraving all non-metal materials.

Unfortunetly, metal doesn't absorb the energy of this wavelength ver well. So the engraving can't be used to cut or engrave metal directly. There's only very slight mark on aluminum according to our testing. But that doesn't means this machine can not be used for metal. The onlyting need to do is to cover the metal with a thin layer, then use laser to remove this layer, a pattern is formed. The layer above metal can be paint, powder coating or anodizing.

Now I think it's not necessary to explain why the engraving service on aluminum enclosures is only available for black (or any other color other than silver) background. You can see almost nothing if you are trying to do it on silver anodized aluminum.

Of course if you are looking for a unique looking for your amplifier, these materials are also available to be engraved:
Feather
Glass
Wood
Bamboo
Plexiglass
Plastic

BTW, metal can't be engraved by CO2 laser doens't means that it can't be engraved. Near IR laser can engraved it easily. Actually al lot of metal plates on our enclosures are cut by laser.

samples of laser engraving

these are samples of laser engraving

Attachments

• 165791_ori.jpg
    165791_ori.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 9090820.jpg
    9090820.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 2010623115028496.jpg
    2010623115028496.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 97
It has a nCore logo on it so it mus be goes for nCore amplifier. The frontpanel isn't the one for this customer, I just make this to show him how it looks like. Now I'm waiting for his frontpanel pattern design.

The bamboo fronpanel is $12, plus $10 fro engraving. It's a 10pcs order.

I like the butterfly on wood.
On top of that it is original (belongs to you and not someone else's).
Maybe you should make it your logo.

We ourselves also have experience with laser marking anodised aluminium.
We do not call it engraving, as it does not remove any aluminium, or aluminium oxide of the anodised layer.
To do that you would need much high laser power that would leave behind a crater-like surface.
So the laser is purely removing the colour (dye) of the anodised layer.

To do proper engraving on (clear anodised) aluminium, one has to resort to mechanical or chemical means. See :
diyAudio

In any case hats off for providing the service.

Patrick

Last edited:
Patric

The top logo is made for the customer under the permission of Hypex. The owner of Hypex nCore Bruno send me the logo himself.

We had tried on clear aluminum. there was nothing with a 40W CO2 laser, 80W can make clear mark on it. But there's no touchable supression on the mark. I think 130W or pulse YAG laser can engrave grooves.

When you have sufficient power to start melting / evaporating the metal (and we have) your problem is then to control laser power such that the groove left behind is not like a bombed ally on a micro scale.

Mechanical engraving is still our preferred method. It is much easier to control.
You just need a CNC mill and a high speed spindle, say 40,000 rpm.

Patrick

Incidentally, Patrick should be spelled with k.

You have probably then removed (part of) the say 10µm of oxide layer.
For most purposes it is sufficient, and better than Silk Screen printing.

Black on white (silver) background would be a bit more challenging,
especially when you do want the silver to retain the protective oxide layer.

We would have loved lasering to work. It is much much faster.
But for many Hi-End applications, we just do not see laser replacing machining at this moment in time.
Who knows. There is still a lot of potential in laser machining.

Plate cutting is already almost all laser now.

Patrick

I agree that CNC is the best way to engrave metal. Laser can do well on steel but it have trouble on aluminum. The aluminum gas can reflect the laser to damage the lens.
We have several precision CNC but they are all busying at machining the enclosures :-(
Laser is much faster to make nice patterns on surface. Effeciency is very important for Chinese low profit business.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.