Low Cost Large 100W Al Class-A Enclosure - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Siliconray Online Electronics Store

Siliconray Online Electronics Store Amplifier boards, HiFi components, tubes and all kinds of electronics for the DIYer from Siliconray

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2012, 05:42 AM   #11
rajesh is offline rajesh  India
diyAudio Member

Ouch $180 for shipping! Sure deal breaker
Old 2nd November 2012, 06:25 AM   #12
Art M is offline Art M  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconray View Post
We saw a lot of potential requirment of enclosures for high power class-A amplifiers.
Side wall: Heatsink 400mm x 220mm x 50mm
Power: 50Wx2 or 100W mono block
Each heat sink looks too small for maintaining reasonable junction temperatures when
dissipating 100W. Can you give us some typical figures for temperature rise Sink to Ambient (25C) with a 100W source.
Old 6th November 2012, 03:44 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh View Post
Lovely looking chassis. We are a group of DIY enthusiasts trying to build Pass DIY F5 Turbo dual mono amp. You can read about it on this thread on the India-specific hifi forum: DIY: Pass F5 turbo v2 initiated

Is there a way of shipping them to India? Wonder how much would the shipping be?
well. india has the same ambient temp. as the surface of the sun. so those sinks will not handle F5turbo V2 and keep the sink temp around 55c. unless you use forced air cooling.
Old 6th November 2012, 05:26 PM   #14
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

India and ClassA power stages do not mix.
If you think air con will solve it, that will simply add to the pollution that is already showing it's hand in the extremes of weather we are experiencing around the world.
Old 7th November 2012, 02:51 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

So, let's find a better amp to heal the world. For example, 50W single-end tube amp...
Old 24th January 2013, 08:35 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art M View Post
Each heat sink looks too small for maintaining reasonable junction temperatures when dissipating 100W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
well. india has the same ambient temp. as the surface of the sun. so those sinks will not handle F5turbo V2 and keep the sink temp around 55c. unless you use forced air cooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
India and Class A power stages do not mix.
If you think air con will solve it, that will simply add to the pollution that is already showing it's hand in the extremes of weather we are experiencing around the world.
Bingo, you guys are absolutely right. That's why I'm thinking of this heat sink:

It has the best depth (136 mm) to width (125 mm) ratio and also aesthetically pleasing. I plan to chop off portions of the grooves that I had marked for aesthetic reasons. I'd be using 2 of these heat sinks 8" high per channel.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hope they would be sufficient. If not, I'll have to make use of forced air cooling.

Last edited by rajesh; 24th January 2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 24th January 2013, 10:02 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I've been lead to believe that those heatsinks only achieve their full dissipation rating when used with forced cooling. (ie water flowing through them).
Old 24th January 2013, 10:28 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieandDad View Post
I've been lead to believe that those heatsinks only achieve their full dissipation rating when used with forced cooling. (ie water flowing through them).
Oh yeah, I had thought about that too. If forced cooling doesn't work, I can make use of the oval port located in the centre for circulating water through a pump connecting it with a radiator located out of the room.
Old 11th May 2013, 06:27 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

use long version of that heatsink and they will do the job well.. If you have AC cooling turn it on in India the ambient temp is too high in summer you need some ambient cooling no need of water cooling

Hide this!Advertise here!