Potential Group Buy - Aluminium enclosures - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Siliconray Online Electronics Store

Siliconray Online Electronics Store Amplifier boards, HiFi components, tubes and all kinds of electronics for the DIYer from Siliconray

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2012, 12:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Potential Group Buy - Aluminium enclosures

Hi guys,

I've been in contact with the friendly folks over at SiliconRay regarding an aluminium enclosure for my (and a friend's) Hypex NCore amps and they have agreed to produce a custom run of a smaller RE3222-style chassis, if we manage to get a small batch (15-20 enclosures) ordered.

Click the image to open in full size.

The group-buy enclosure will be 200x200x120, side panels 8mm (!) thick and top/bottom ones 4mm (so internal dimensions will be ~184x184x112).
This is a cube-like 3U design, short enough to fit in most racks/shelves but also tall enough not to look funny or "disappear" when you use it for amps and place it on the floor next to your loudspeakers.
Moreover, it's ratio of height to width/depth in conjunction with it's curvy design make for an aesthetically pleasing, unique enclosure.
[Frankly, "modushop"-style enclosures were great 4-5 years ago but now 99% of DIYers are using them which kinda spoils the fun if you're not ready to seriously customize them via FPE/Schaeffer or whatever...]

A horizontal and a vertical panel will be included so that the builder can choose his own layout/arrangement inside the enclosure (see attached sketches below).
Panels will ~183x183x3 for horizontal and ~183x123 for vertical, 3mm thick, with precut corners (to fit "around" the brackets you can see in the internal pics)

Regarding price, we are looking at $105 per enclosure. I believe it's great for such an enclosure.
Shipping will be ~$35-$40 for a single enclosure and I've been told charges scale well if someone gets more enclosures (I'll have to find out, hopefully not the hard way, since I'll be getting more than a few of those ).

Our $105 get us:
  • 1 x RE3222-style (200x200x120) enclosure
  • 1 x Horizontal Internal Panel, 3mm thick
  • 1 x Vertical Internal Panel, 3mm thick
  • 4 x extra brackets (like the ones shown in the internal pics) for mounting either of the internal panels
  • All hex screws etc. required.

Since this was originally designed for my and a friend's NCore amp, I have attached a few variations I did regarding layouts of NCore+SMPS600 that could fit in said enclosure (using exact dimensions of course).
You'll see you can fit from 1 to 3+ channels of NC400s in there with proper arrangement and smart use of the vertical panel. I've even managed to fit a dual mono amp (2xNC400s, 2xSMPS600s) inside, but I bet wiring will be a challenge on that one!

These are only a reference and, obviously, a subset of possible layouts and uses. You can use these for any project you see fit.

I'll probably grab ~10 those for me and friends (maybe more), so we are about 6-10 enclosures short of the quota.
Once we reach that, no one is stopping us to order more of course - the more the merrier - but we need at least that many to get SiliconRay to list the product on their website (where we'll all order once we get this GB rolling, paying by Paypal etc.).
Factory reports a lead time of 3 weeks which I believe is acceptable.

Please let me know of potential interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9342_R.jpg (100.6 KB, 2566 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9352_R.jpg (92.6 KB, 2058 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9358_R.jpg (97.9 KB, 2522 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9361_R.jpg (97.7 KB, 1999 views)
File Type: jpg SR_200_Var.JPG (112.3 KB, 713 views)
File Type: jpg Panels_Info.JPG (85.7 KB, 701 views)

Last edited by TheShaman; 28th February 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 29th February 2012, 09:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Update:
  • TheShaman ~10
  • jbm 2
  • talkinghead 1-2

Total: ~13-14 (almost there )

By the way, flat rate shipping via Airmail is $35 for one and $60 for two enclosures.
Old 29th February 2012, 10:42 AM   #3
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

are the extra internal panels predrilled to suit the threaded rod for the mounting brackets? i presume thats how we use the internal panels with the brackets? i might be in for 1 - 2 unfortunately its slightly too small for my dac, as the NTD1 IV stage heatsink is too long, as its 200mm
Old 29th February 2012, 11:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Like qusp asked, I'm interested in how the vert or horiz panels are mounted, is the horiz panel fixed at 60mm, or is there some adjustment that can be made?

Are the additional brackets more of the same type used to fix bottom/top panels to the enclosure? If so is it up to user to drill/tap the holes for mounting these?

I would be interested in 1 of these, but would like to know answers to above before committing 100%.
Old 29th February 2012, 02:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
are the extra internal panels predrilled to suit the threaded rod for the mounting brackets? i presume thats how we use the internal panels with the brackets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Like qusp asked, I'm interested in how the vert or horiz panels are mounted, is the horiz panel fixed at 60mm, or is there some adjustment that can be made?

Are the additional brackets more of the same type used to fix bottom/top panels to the enclosure? If so is it up to user to drill/tap the holes for mounting these?
Nope, the internal panels are not pre-drilled, nor are the sides of the enclosure. We'll have to tap/drill these ourselves.
It's more flexible this way so you can mount the panels at whatever height (horizontal panel) or width/depth (vertical panel) you prefer - or use neither.
I actually didn't want to increase the cost any more than needed nor sacrifice flexibility by going for an "NCore specific" pre-drilled enclosure.

Mounting will indeed be via the four extra brackets that'll be included. These will be like the ones already supplied with the enclosure and which you can see in the attached pic - see green arrows.
[We can probably get away with installing just two of those brackets in the case of the horizontal panel or even one in the case of the vertical, but we'll have to see the actual enclosure to decide.]

Obviously the thickness of the side panels allows for mounting of the horizontal panel with no visible holes on the outside.
Of course one could use an alternative method if he feels like it.

To sum up, the only parts that are drilled are the ones needed to assemble the enclosure (i.e. everything seen in the pics above) plus the extra brackets.
Also, the vertical panel will have its four corners cut (to accommodate the brackets needed to mount top and bottom panel) and the horizontal panel will have rounded corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
i might be in for 1 - 2 unfortunately its slightly too small for my dac, as the NTD1 IV stage heatsink is too long, as its 200mm
Hope Owen goes through with the next NTD1 group buy. I'm watching with interest.

Indeed 200mm is the maximum width/depth but the usable (internal) dimensions are 184mm.
Theoretically (as I haven't seen IRL the enclosure yet) I believe you could actually hide the heatsink inside the enclosure by remounting the bottom brackets higher inside the case and dremeling off an equal part of the curvy brackets (see red box in the attached pic).
That assumes you are willing to shorten the heatsink by 16mm and, most importantly, that the left over internal height (originally 112mm) will be enough for the electronics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9361_marked.jpg (86.6 KB, 538 views)

Last edited by TheShaman; 29th February 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 29th February 2012, 03:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

To clarify, all panels (side,top,bottom) and brackets are pre-drilled, as seen in the pics, since these are all necessary to assemble the enclosure.
It's just that there are no extra... drilling provisions for mounting the internal panels.

Please feel free to add yourselves to the list.
Old 29th February 2012, 09:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Update:
  • TheShaman ~10
  • jbm 2
  • talkinghead 1-2
  • mr_push_pull 1

Total: ~14-15

We've reached the quota more or less.
I think it's safe to assume we're getting our enclosures.
Old 1st March 2012, 04:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

hmm i cant say i understand why, predrilling the spare internal panel to match the threaded holes that are already there in the brackets would enable the horizontal internal panel to be mounted at any height with threaded rod screwed into either the bottom or top bracket and a couple of nuts. doing that myself accurately with hand tools however will be near impossible. how much more flexible does it need to be?

see what i mean? the bracket has threaded holes in it for bolting through the floor and ceiling, the brackets are quite chunky so any bolt will still leave enough thread to screw some rod into.....as you can see

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by qusp; 1st March 2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 1st March 2012, 04:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

no i'm not prepared to shorten the NTD1 heatsink, so it will never house my dac. besides the only way to make that work would be to buy 3 of them, use one for an external psu and the other 2 for the 2 x 2 channel balanced dacs and various electronics
Old 1st March 2012, 09:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Update:
  • TheShaman ~10
  • jbm 2
  • talkinghead 1-2
  • mr_push_pull 1
  • guyv 2

Total: ~16-17

Jeremy, are you referring to having the horizontal internal panel pre-drilled to match the bracket holes (see attached sketch)?
Sorry if I'm being thick; I haven't had my morning coffee yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PanelD.JPG (12.8 KB, 141 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!