Potential Group Buy - Aluminium enclosures - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Siliconray Online Electronics Store

Siliconray Online Electronics Store Amplifier boards, HiFi components, tubes and all kinds of electronics for the DIYer from Siliconray

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2012, 05:43 AM   #41
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

just wondering how an insert like this is easily fitted into alloy. i nearly bought a couple of the minisemi enclosures until i realized how much space the wooden panels wasted internally. its not really cool to drop in uninvited to dis the supplier and then promote an enclosure of your own in a group buy thread that already has a supplier, rather UN cool actually. i somehow doubt very much you would come close to matching the price.

must be hard times for such desperate acts?

Last edited by qusp; 5th March 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 5th March 2012, 06:01 AM   #42
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minisemi View Post
Here the inserts we use...
Hey thanks for the tip,where can I get some of these from?
Old 5th March 2012, 08:34 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
just wondering how an insert like this is easily fitted into alloy. i nearly bought a couple of the minisemi enclosures until i realized how much space the wooden panels wasted internally. its not really cool to drop in uninvited to dis the supplier and then promote an enclosure of your own in a group buy thread that already has a supplier, rather UN cool actually. i somehow doubt very much you would come close to matching the price.

must be hard times for such desperate acts?
All good points, Jeremy.

Btw, if brackets are good enough for EUVL, a known perfectionist, I believe they're good enough for us as well.
[Attached pic is from EUVL's F5X enclosure]

The corner brackets pictured bellow where my initial request to SiliconRay but then I saw internal pics of the SR enclosure.
It was then obvious they already included the other type ("solid" brackets) and thus asked them to include some more of those instead. They actually look "cleaner", IMHO, and take up less space of the panel they're mounted on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 110524 structure.jpg (288.2 KB, 342 views)

Last edited by TheShaman; 5th March 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 5th March 2012, 12:18 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Default Ultraserts

FYI

For mr_push_pull and Luke,

Here the catalogue pages from spaenaur,for the brass ultraserts or also call Dodge inserts,I have also include Helicoils.
For aluminum installation you will need a 1 ton press.Maybe you can find another way,theres many video and information(How to install) on Youtube.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dodgeinsert.pdf (30.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: pdf helicoil.pdf (93.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf ezlok.pdf (37.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 5th March 2012, 02:12 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
I'm not sure I'll use them (hopefully I won't need to tighten/untighten those screws 10 times) but the suggestion is well taken. I was thinking about using epoxy to hold them in place, some fastener locking compounds get so hard that it's the bolt who gives up first.
oh and the Helicoil idea crossed my mind too.

later edit: since most people may not be familiar with this, Helicoil is a smart way to repair stripped (female) threads, often encountered in automotive use. it's basically a steel spring that you thread into the enlarged hole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_insert
http://www.helicoil.com.sg/Pictures/...aired-Hole.jpg
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/222493...ead_insert.jpg

Last edited by mr_push_pull; 5th March 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 5th March 2012, 02:43 PM   #46
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
i only have a dremel plus press attachment and hand drill, dont have room for a full workshop along with the room my studio, stock storage, parts storage and electronics workshop takes up (I work from home). i'll grab a proper press one of these days but i tend to spend a lot more on tools than that. its not that easy to get decent metric standoffs and standoffs arent what i would call a sturdy or flexible way to mount the platform. i'll leave you guys to it though i think, its just not suitable for anything i'm building except for perhaps the central Rasberry Pi MCU

@ The Shaman: I see the optimism for putting the dac, plus NTD1 and salas regs in one hasnt faded, wait till the reality hits. i'm sure its possible, but trust me on this it will not result in a neat layout, you need room to move to do that unless the entire thing is your design from the beginning including the electronics.
Time to get rid of that kitchen and make place for that drill press!

I'm sure your wife would fully agree with this. If she does not, just tell her Pinnocchio says it's ok!

Do
Old 6th March 2012, 06:32 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Update:
  • TheShaman ~10
  • jbm 2
  • talkinghead 1-2
  • mr_push_pull 1
  • guyv 2
  • Alex Zapantis 2
  • SiliconRay 1-2
  • ianrt 1

Total: ~20-22

Reminder: The GB will stay open until the coming Friday, 9th of March.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:57 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minisemi View Post
Because Aluminum is a soft material,you will destroy you tap after 10,15 or 20 time of screwing and unscrewing your screws.in aerospace we always use solid dodge brass insert,It last!
I'm a qualified aircraft maintenance enginer and have worked on Boeing, Airbus, Pratt & Whitney, GE, Rolls Royce, etc. And have never seen one of those brass inserts......

Helicoils are very common on aircraft, but using anything other than a simple tapped hole on an enclosure like these would be overkill to the point of stupidity.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk
Old 8th March 2012, 02:10 AM   #49
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

interesting, so sounds like hes making stuff up as well; perhaps its because of the cheapish grade of al hes used to?
Old 8th March 2012, 02:36 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

aero grade aluminum such as 7025 is almost as hard as steel. 6061 is much softer but still much harder than pure aluminum. If the enclosures are made of pure al, it's true that the screws won't be usable after several screw in/out. hardness of 6061 (which is the material for most our product) is more than enough for such products.

This doens't means the pure al is crappy material. The best material is the one that can meet requirments at the right cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPERTUNE View Post
I'm a qualified aircraft maintenance enginer and have worked on Boeing, Airbus, Pratt & Whitney, GE, Rolls Royce, etc. And have never seen one of those brass inserts......

Helicoils are very common on aircraft, but using anything other than a simple tapped hole on an enclosure like these would be overkill to the point of stupidity.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Hide this!Advertise here!