SMPS powered tube amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Siliconray Online Electronics Store

Siliconray Online Electronics Store Amplifier boards, HiFi components, tubes and all kinds of electronics for the DIYer from Siliconray

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2012, 07:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default SMPS powered tube amp

Today I received the SMPS power modules and SMPS powered tube amp. Tubes are 6N3+6P1. It could be used as headphone amplifier as well as 3W small power amplifier. The first impression it's light weight. Don't have time to listen to it. Pics first. I will post more testing result later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9254.JPG (137.7 KB, 588 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9256.JPG (129.2 KB, 531 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9257.JPG (122.2 KB, 538 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9259.JPG (177.6 KB, 572 views)
Old 22nd February 2012, 02:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks nice.
Old 23rd February 2012, 04:37 AM   #3
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm really curious to hear your review. Shame you don't have a copy with a linear power supply to compare it to.
Old 1st March 2012, 01:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sorry for delay so long. Finished most of testing today, all I can say is awesome. It the best tube amp below 5Wx2 I've ever seen. I will compare with transformer powered amp tomorrow. Results will be posted soon
Old 2nd March 2012, 04:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Frequency Response

Sorry for so late. It's a time cost work to measure and adjust and measure and adjust. Now we are sure the R2 is in it's best condition. We are also sure it's the best status for a low cost 6P1 tube.

This design has no feedback from the output of the transformer. So the quality of transformer is important for the bandwidth. See the following result:
Instrument: HP3563A
Load: 8 Ohm
Signal Level: about 3V RMS
Sweep Freq: 10Hz to 100KHz
Click the image to open in full size.
According to the curve, the amp has a very flat freq response between 40Hz to 20KHz, swing less than 1dB. 3dB bandwidth is 25Hz to 35KHz.
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Distortion

The distortion is tested at 1KHz, 8Ohm, 0.5W, 1W, 2W and 3W output power. THD is kept less than 1.8% when the output power is less than 3W. It goes high rapidly when the power is above 3W.

1.275% @ 0.5W

1.45% @ 1W

1.34% @ 2W

1.95% @ 3W

Last edited by siliconray; 2nd March 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Waveforms

Old 2nd March 2012, 11:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default SNR

I had thought the SNR would be high due to the switching mode power supply. To my surprise, the figure is even better than transformer powered amp, about 88dB!
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:58 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Listening

tested with a pair of full range with 91dB sensitivity. I don't know how to describ the listen due to my poor English. Just want to say it's the best small (<3W) tube amp I have ever heard. Human voice is very sweet, treble is clear, bass is soft. I believe it could be better if replace 6P1 with better tubes.
Old 2nd March 2012, 12:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Comparing with transformer

We did a compare testing between SMPS and transformer.

Freq response: almost the same. slight higher (about 0.1dB) better than transformer.

Hum: Transformer has audiable hum at 20cm away from the speaker. SMPS may also has audiable hum, but I can't hear it even when my ear touched the speaker. Maybe a bat can hear it.

Distortion: SMPS has lower distortion, especially when the output power is close to 3W. SMPS is 1.85% while transformer is 3% when @3W 1KHz

SNR: 88dB vs 78dB, SMPS win

Sound quality: Similar in midrange and treble. But SMPS wins in Bass.

Weight: 4.2kg VS 2.5kg

Hide this!Advertise here!