6p3p tube amplifier kit - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Siliconray Online Electronics Store

Siliconray Online Electronics Store Amplifier boards, HiFi components, tubes and all kinds of electronics for the DIYer from Siliconray

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2014, 07:38 PM   #151
Pdwhitt is offline Pdwhitt  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Pic of Siliconray 6P3P

Here's a pic of my 6P3P, front panel from left to right: power switch, feedback resistance control, volume, dimmer for lamp, and power on indicator lamp.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th July 2014, 09:58 AM   #152
diyAudio Member

Default Problem. Very low sound

Hi,

This is a technical question. I have just received and built the 6P3P amp and I have a problem. The sound is very, very low although the volume pot is all way up. I can fairly hear it. Some measurements I made and I have encountered that at the first capacitor of the PSU, there is only 180v dc., without the choke, there is 350v dc. Could be the choke broken?

Also at the pins 3/8 of the 6N1 tube, there is more or less 1v dc and not the 1.75 stated.

Please help,

Jorge
Old 6th July 2014, 11:47 PM   #153
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastellano View Post
Hi,

This is a technical question. I have just received and built the 6P3P amp and I have a problem. The sound is very, very low although the volume pot is all way up. I can fairly hear it. Some measurements I made and I have encountered that at the first capacitor of the PSU, there is only 180v dc., without the choke, there is 350v dc. Could be the choke broken?

Also at the pins 3/8 of the 6N1 tube, there is more or less 1v dc and not the 1.75 stated.

Please help,

Jorge
Where is your star ground point?? Be sure your speaker post grounds are attached to that ground point. Turn it down once you square that up so you dont blow up your speakers. There's other ground points too from the volume pot as well. Check them all..

Cheers,
Bob
Old 7th July 2014, 08:06 AM   #154
diyAudio Member

Default Very low volume...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrown14 View Post
Where is your star ground point?? Be sure your speaker post grounds are attached to that ground point. Turn it down once you square that up so you dont blow up your speakers. There's other ground points too from the volume pot as well. Check them all..

Cheers,
Bob
Hi Bob,

Thank you for your answer...!!

The star ground point is located at the (-) of the 330mf/450v capacitor of the power supply. I have made some tests and I feel that the problem could be at the output transformers. I have reached this conclusion because I changed the choke for a resistor and the behaviour is the same. If I have the output transformers connected, the psu voltage goes down to 198v, if they arenīt, the psu voltage remains ok around 310v. I have tested other tubes, all ok because they are tested before so the tubes arenīt the problem... but...could both output transformers be bad?

I have checked all connections and to my eye they seem ok.

I am running out of ideas to check.

Help appreciated....

Jorge
Old 7th July 2014, 11:59 AM   #155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Bob,

Thank you for your answer...!!

The star ground point is located at the (-) of the 330mf/450v capacitor of the power supply. I have made some tests and I feel that the problem could be at the output transformers. I have reached this conclusion because I changed the choke for a resistor and the behaviour is the same. If I have the output transformers connected, the psu voltage goes down to 198v, if they arenīt, the psu voltage remains ok around 310v. I have tested other tubes, all ok because they are tested before so the tubes arenīt the problem... but...could both output transformers be bad?

I have checked all connections and to my eye they seem ok.

I am running out of ideas to check.

Help appreciated....

Jorge
Try reversing the connection to the opt transformers?? Do you have feedback connection from the output back to the input?

Cheers,
Bob
Old 7th July 2014, 12:10 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Try reversing the connection to the opt transformers?? Do you have feedback connection from the output back to the input?

Cheers,
Bob
Hi Bob,

I havenīt done that...I thought about it but did not reversed the the connection to the opt transformers...If they state red to plate and blu to B+ thatīs for me correct...If it works this way I couldnīt believe that....!!!

I have the 10k feedback resistor installed although this kit is different from the first one I built, with a 2k feedback resistor and additional 100 Ohms in series with the 1k cathode resistor and a 100 mF elect. cap bypassing it. I did not installed these components, I made the same as the first 6P3P amp I built. With the 10k feedback resistor and only 1k cathode resistor.

Regards,

Jorge
Old 7th July 2014, 05:32 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Bob,

I havenīt done that...I thought about it but did not reversed the the connection to the opt transformers...If they state red to plate and blu to B+ thatīs for me correct...If it works this way I couldnīt believe that....!!!

I have the 10k feedback resistor installed although this kit is different from the first one I built, with a 2k feedback resistor and additional 100 Ohms in series with the 1k cathode resistor and a 100 mF elect. cap bypassing it. I did not installed these components, I made the same as the first 6P3P amp I built. With the 10k feedback resistor and only 1k cathode resistor.

Regards,

Jorge
You should have a cathode resistor bypass cap in there. I would put that in there first - that may be your issue.

Bob
Old 7th July 2014, 05:37 PM   #158
diyAudio Member

"usually" red goes to B+ and Blue goes to Plate - why I suggested the switch - I'd send a e-mail to Ray about that maybe the wire colors are reversed. What I just suggested is the "NORM" with most transformers manufactured today...

Bob
Old 7th July 2014, 06:02 PM   #159
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You should have a cathode resistor bypass cap in there. I would put that in there first - that may be your issue.

Bob
HI BOB,

In my first 6p3p amp from SiliconRay, there where no bypass cap whatsoever in the 1k cathode resistor. And the amp is running fine and sounding very nice indeed. Maybe that cap makes the sound better, but I think in my humble opinion that near no sound at all could be more related with the opt transformer cable reversed or worse, a faulty opt transformer. The only thing I must recognize is my doubts that both channels behave the same....

Regards,

Jorge
Old 7th July 2014, 06:05 PM   #160
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"usually" red goes to B+ and Blue goes to Plate - why I suggested the switch - I'd send a e-mail to Ray about that maybe the wire colors are reversed. What I just suggested is the "NORM" with most transformers manufactured today...

Bob
I hope you are right... I did installed based in my previous 6P3P...One of my checkings was to unmount the opt trans. and check the label underside and with google check the colors (they are in chinese) ...they state red to plate and blue to B+ so I did that. I did not try reversed because my lack of knowledge if that way was going to blow up something....

Best Regards,

Jorge

Hide this!Advertise here!