6p3p tube amplifier kit - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Siliconray Online Electronics Store

Siliconray Online Electronics Store Amplifier boards, HiFi components, tubes and all kinds of electronics for the DIYer from Siliconray

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2013, 08:42 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucTom View Post
Peruanische Issing a groundloft swich to correct the hum.
You have a hum Circle with your Earth and mass connections.
Groundlift Opens the the Connection betwen Maßband Earth in the Amp.
DucTom
Thanks. Yes, I understand the probable solution, but there is so little space in the 2 cases, and the wiring is hard to see, it won't be easy to implement. And it needs to be safe if a fault develops.
Old 23rd April 2013, 03:56 PM   #102
DucTom is offline DucTom  Austria
diyAudio Member

There is a Connection between chassi Earth and Audio ground.
This connect shall be opend.
Never Open the connect between Earth and chassi.
DucTom
Old 26th April 2013, 03:20 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Can I check. What is the bias current through the output transformer?
Old 27th April 2013, 03:10 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, has anyone tried any el34's in this amp yet. I'm sure i read earlier they can be used with little or no modification, anyone tried yet ?. Should have my amp by the end of the week and have some spare.
Old 27th April 2013, 04:31 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr scratch View Post
Hi guys, has anyone tried any el34's in this amp yet. I'm sure i read earlier they can be used with little or no modification, anyone tried yet ?. Should have my amp by the end of the week and have some spare.
Yes you should be able to swap them in no change .... Are you building this amp or buying one already assembled? This amp runs fairly conservative voltages on the output tube so ya I can't see why not.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 28th April 2013, 12:17 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Default 6p3p amplfier

Hi again Bob, admittedly i'm getting this amp pre-build, though my plan is to deconstruct into a nicer chassis (been getting into a bit of veneering) with a few component mods/upgrades that you guys seem to be enjoying. After building some gainclones and modding a tube headphone pre-amp this seems like a good starter to further my learning a bit more with electronics .
Old 4th May 2013, 03:09 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, my 6p3p amp has arrived and been on rotation now for 3 days and i thought i'd give my view on it it for anyone who may be interested, as is ready made with basic parts, the only thing i have changed is the 6n1 tube for a mullard ecc88/6dj8.
Well i have to say i am fairly happy with the little fella so far, out of the box the amp looks better in the flesh (except for the vol knob, easy to change) than in the pics, its also feels surprisingly heavy for its size, a friend and i were quite shocked by the weight, but then neither of us have ever owned a tube amp before with all that iron so no surprises there i guess.
Once switched on, this plays music straight away, again surprised as my headphone/ pre-amp sounds fuzzy as it takes a few seconds to warm up, its also pretty quite, no noticeable hum unless i put my ear right to the speaker, so all good there.
Now for the hard bit, how does it sound, never done this before and reading other people's description of sound can be funny, embarrassing even, so will try to keep this short for fear of looking a complete numpty.
First impressions, this amp is a lot louder than i expected, (a good thing) though i wasn't overly impressed, playing a variety of music from my labtop the music sounded a bit dark and hard, (funny how you get an expectation, even if you've never heard a proper tube amp before, i was expecting it to sound light and airy) and it sounds quite bass'y, more than i was expecting, though this is if any is were it lets it down, its not very controlled and a little messy which is probably why its sounds loud.
A few days in and its starting to open up a little, maybe the tubes are burning in or i'm getting more used to it, who know's but its sounding more enjoyable now, especially the mids, iv'e been hearing sounds on this (cliche) i never really noticed on my gainclones, i don't think its any more detailed in any sense, just maybe the way its voiced in the midband that puts forward sound in that region you might other wise miss (mere speculation take with a pinch of salt) but i'm enjoying it none the less, vocals and acoustic instruments sound superb through my frugal horns.
Anyway, to sum up. If i made this amp successfully from scratch, i would be more than over the moon in its basic form, for the money its a good little amp. Not the last word in sound, but that's when fun (for me anyway) really starts, what with the tweeks
and possible upgrades, this just might be a great little amp, or at least a really fun project.
Old 4th May 2013, 03:49 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

To get rid if the hum you probably need to change out the stock caps in the power supply (which is what I did) to better power supply capacitors. Also adding a poly bypass cap on any of the 3 PSU caps would help with noise there as well. This (new power supply caps) will to some degree help with the flabby bass too. For hum reduction check where the heater wires are run, they should be tucked into the corners of the chassis and keep them away from any signal wires around the tube sockets. Another big change for sound was ditch ALL the Chinese tubes - both the outputs, (you already changed the driver to a good one) and the rectifier. The rectifier you can change to a 5Y3 (6087 tung-sol slow start) they are pretty cheap still. Id change in some 6L6 RCA black plates but they are getting pricey, or some other decent quality 6L6 variant. I like the Tung-sol 5881 tubes and those are still under the radar but that's changing fast with the high price for the RCA 6L6 black plates. Oh and the volume pot is pretty much crap... I'd get an Alps and call it a day. My amp is hum free, I can run some horn loaded 105dB efficient speakers with it (15" woofers too) and no hum. If there was any noise getting thru I'd hear it with those speakers for sure. Id try new output tubes first and you will hear a much improved sound, kinda flies in the face of common sense, but those stock tubes ehhh... I couldn't listen to them to be honest.

Flabby base could also be a product of mis-matched or poorly matched speaker/amp impedance. You should try the 4ohm tap and see if that helps with flabby base if you haven't already but again I'd change the output tubes right away.

There's some other tweeks to tune this up a bit. It's listenable for sure, but just remember you're only getting about 5 watts/ch so inefficient woofers can suck the life/energy out of those tiny output transformers.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 4th May 2013, 05:23 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Hey Bob, glad you chimed in.
Will be trying your mods for sure, eyeing up some 5y3's on epay right now, thought i had some el34's in a guitar amp to try, but there 6v6's, probably best to swerve.
Funny was thinking of trying the 4 ohm taps but wasn't sure if it would do any damage, will try that next.
As for that 5 watts, i have tried a few speakers now, mostly inefficient and i haven't gone past half way on the volume yet, and this strangely seems plenty for me... must be mellowing.
This is going to be a slow work in progress, suns coming out and music festival season is just starting, so funds are gonna be tight, but will keep you all posted when i make any changes in the near future.
If i can just tighten up that bass a bit, that will be a great start.

Scratch
Old 4th May 2013, 06:42 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr scratch View Post
Hey Bob, glad you chimed in.
Will be trying your mods for sure, eyeing up some 5y3's on epay right now, thought i had some el34's in a guitar amp to try, but there 6v6's, probably best to swerve.
Funny was thinking of trying the 4 ohm taps but wasn't sure if it would do any damage, will try that next.
As for that 5 watts, i have tried a few speakers now, mostly inefficient and i haven't gone past half way on the volume yet, and this strangely seems plenty for me... must be mellowing.
This is going to be a slow work in progress, suns coming out and music festival season is just starting, so funds are gonna be tight, but will keep you all posted when i make any changes in the near future.
If i can just tighten up that bass a bit, that will be a great start.

Scratch
You could try the 6V6 tubes but definitely use the 4ohm tape for those. Just be aware that you have global negative feedback and it's hooked up the the 4ohm tap. It wont hurt the speakers or the amp but "may" affect the sound. Try it ... 6V6 single ended ... give it a shot. You should get good bass with the 6L6 tube, controlling it, that's going to depend on the speaker to be honest. What woofer are you using?

Festival Season indeed!!

Cheers,
Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!