• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Calling all Phono Preamp gurus, I'm looking for some plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently putting together my Preamp and while waiting for some parts to arrive I thought it would be a good time to get some info on a Phono Preamp as I'll be building that next. Any thoughts as to what I should be looking for? Plans or schematics that I can check out?

I like the inexpensive builds so if you have any suggestions or links that I should be looking at, I'd be really grateful. Really enjoy following up on all your leads. I learn a lot that way from this forum.

Thanks.

I guess a three-stage split RIAA 6SN7 will do the same for for the octal fans.

No sir! That will be NOISY. :( If you want to do an Octal phono stage use 6SL7s in the "classic" RCA circuit.

Attachments

• rca-riaa-phono.gif
    rca-riaa-phono.gif
    55.3 KB · Views: 725
Interesting! I've been reading old posts and such here and other places about building a phono preamp or amp or linestage and a lot of them say, "Turn back!"

Some people seem to like the Bottlehead Seduction and the Hagtech Cornet2 for quality and terms of cost.

Still interested in hearing people's opinions. Thanks.

Steve Bench 12ay7-7308 cascode

The RIAA curve is a considerable feat to equalize. You need a preamp with herculean overload margins and headroom. A cascode fits the bill best IMHO with passive EQ between stages. The 12ay7-6072a tube was designed for low noise in mind and very well balanced from side to side. The FAA used this tube as the first gain stage in Radar sets. And it was used very successfully in many high grade condenser mics that recorded much of the music of the 50s and 60s. AKG C12 used it, Telefunken/ELAM used it. Western Electric used it in mo pic sound mic preamps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.