Vifa Swifty kit from MAdisound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone built a pair of these kits from Madisound??
Madisound Vifa Swifty

Ive been looking for an inexpensive but good quality mini-monitor project for a few months and this one caught my eye when surfing Madisounds website. $65 buys you drivers to build a pair of speakers, and the Xovers are $35ea. I was thinking of buying the drivers and doing the Xovers myself to save a few bucks. What do you guys think, has anyone built these?? Are there better designs available in that price range?? The whole project should cost only around $100!

I started building these, but like everything else haven't finished them yet - I've been real slow lately.

I also did what you were thinking - doing the XO's myself since I already had few components.

The drivers were used in the Meadowlark Audio's Swift speaker...
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/104meadowlark/index1.html

I've heard that the stock XO (1st ord.) in the Swift system sounded horrible - contrary to several professional reviews, but designing a better one helps quite a bit (thanks to Mad) but still lacks in the bass department - sub needed. I'm only saying what I've heard, I'll see for myself...eventually.

-Ken

Hmm I didnt realize they were from the Meadowlark Swift, hence the name I guess:) Ive heard those Meadolarks and didnt think they were horrible, nothing spectacular except the bass which was excellent for such a tiny speaker. I wonder how difficult it would be to try and replicate that sort of transmission line bass loading but using the new madisound designed Xover? Any ideas on the volume of the box? I have the dimensions its 36in tall x 7in wide x 9.5in deep at the bottom and 3in deep at the top. And I have a picture of what the inside of the slightly larger Kestral2 looks like. Might be an interesting project instead of the standard bookshelf cabinet I was planning.
thanks

Attachments

• meadowlark.jpg
    meadowlark.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 559
Are you saying these are better then the "swifty" kit??. Im kinda interested in trying a transmission line similar to what Meadowlard audio did with these drivers. Has anyone tried to clone the Meadowlark Swift but with the better madisound xover?? Ive heard these speakers and the bass was excellent for such a little driver. Problem is I have no idea about transmission lines, anyone wanna help me design one for these drivers???

late breaking news

Zaph has just posted test results for the Tang Band W5-704S & HI-VI SD1.1-A on his site.

Over on the PE forum He says "I'm doing a TM design using those drivers, as a potential to replace my old and decaying Silverflute vifa design."

I believe his comment has more to do with the high standards he places on his own work than dismissing the Silver Flute/Vifa. He's spent a lot of time doing this and learned a great deal.

So, not to make your decision harder, I wanted to share what he's considering now.

Hi,

I think Zaph's design is better than the Swifty, but apparently
the tweeters are becoming hard to find, which is why I think
Z feels the design needs to be replaced.

I would wait for Zaph's new budget king, he knows what he's
doing, and both drivers appear very good for the price, also
budget wise the crossover will not be complicated.

:)/sreten.

edit : On reflection I Like Zaphs stuff because he tests it properly.
Having said that the Swifty appears to be excellent value and in
no way would not be a good choice for a $100 budget.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.