My Projector Sucks Part II: The flee market

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, as a flow up to my post "My Projector Sucks" In which I tried to use a LOA to light a LCD, and by the title this method did not work very well. Anyways, today I paid a visit to a flee market and picked up a slide projector. the thing was that the only slide projector is quite old, and appears to use a outdated blub--It is a 300w Bell&Howell light, and has four filiments in the bulb-I don't think its halogen, and say 25 hours on it (So I will need to revaluate my lighting system. Anyway, figuring what the hell, I poped my LCD in there and WOW!, A clear, bright and large picture was presented in front of me!! It works for about 10minutes, before the LCD starts to get hot, and a black blob on the screen tells me to turn it off. I have some first pictures for you all.

The unit.

Attachments

• dec29_01.jpg
    dec29_01.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,849
4. Upclose of picture--It is just a cheap lcd tv I got about 4 years ago and never used. Thing is it that it does not have inputs for a/v just RF, so if I am still going to use it, I will need to work up some sort of RF modulator.

Attachments

• dec29_06.jpg
    dec29_06.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,771
5. The projecter, aimed at garage door. Intresting observation--I spent over $50 on parts trying to get this projecter to work, all failed, but a $3 slide projector did the trick.

For now I have two issues to work out...

1. Heat, I can only run the unit for about 10 minutes before the heat effects the lcd, I think a peice of heat glass might help this problem.

2. the light source, when the blubs cools down I will post a picture. it is atleast 40 or so years old, so I don't think I will be able to find a replacement when i dies. I need see if they still can be found, and for how much--or figure out another light source for the unit.

Attachments

• dec29_07.jpg
    dec29_07.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,733
bell and howell bulbs

I reserve the right to say that it is not necessary to think negative about the replacement of 300 watt buulbs.

try keysan.com or photoimage.com

i think you will be surprised about what you can come up with.

See the bell and howel slide projectors have veen used in hi tech places and stock of bulbs come up in some pretty weird places.

J-P

I am not so sure about using a $20 light for a $2 projecter. the thought of getting a new bulb every 25 hours is not the appealing. esp watching tv at the price of almost $1/Hour.

anyways here is a picture of the bulb.

Attachments

• dec29_13.jpg
    dec29_13.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,689
the projector is a TDC Headliner 303 projector. It appears to be from the 1950s. The good thing is becuase this baby is before plastic, it has all glass optics, no fresnels here! there are several lens to focus the light onto the main lens. The Lcd panal is a 1.8inch lcd panel I look out of a casio EVO-200 portable tv. the panel is not very good, maybe 40,000 pixels. the screen is a little bigger then a slide, but only the very top right is cut off. the projector is made of metal, and after running, can burn you if you touch the top of it. There is a cooling fan that is quite nosy. right now I have to work on LCD cooling so I can get better run times. Also as stated above the issue with bulb life I will have to confrount.

Update: I cleaned the lens and DAME this baby is bright!!!! I set up the screen and am watching the NY/GB game. The picture is VERY bright projected onto a bedsheet the images is about 7-8foot big, maybe close to 1,000 lumens of output! I wish I could make it even bigger, but this pj has a very long throw distence-over 20 feet for a 7-8 foot picture. I will keep you guys advised but this slide projecter rocks!!!! I just wish I had a better LCD panel, this picture is very pixalated, putting it out of focus helps, but text gets smeared. anyway this baby is keeping me happy tonight atleast!

Small heat glass

Hey if you're only using a small LCD panel, check out American Science and Surplus for some heat mirror glass.

Heat Filter
A little pricey for a 2” x 2” x 1/8” thick piece of glass, until you figure that this is pretty darned talented glass, and that it filters heat and reflects infrared and ultraviolet rays. Then it’s a bargain!
34410 HEAT FILTER $4.95 / EACH

Not sure if you'd need 1 or 2 to cover your space, as it's only a 2" square, but for $5 you can't beat it.

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=21&category=191

Cheers!

--Clint

slide projector

me to have a old slide projector, i got a 2.3" lcd with A/V in 40k or so pixels. i thought this would be a good thing to start with without wasting to much $ on this. but im a bit worried about the lcd overheating. im was thinking about using the optics from the slide projector and build my own box and maby exchange the light with 1-2 halogen 250w/w reflector and add enough cooling. i know i will get screendoor effect of this lowres lcd, but this is just a test :)

I would just put a slide in there for a few minutes and see if it gets hot, that is how I tested it with mine. I found that this old projector was perfect because it had all glass optics, it had about a 1/2 inch of glass between the bulb and the lcd, and the bulb was not a halogen bulb. I plain on doing the same thing with the optics, but not due to heat, but for bulb-replacement reasons. Anyways good luck!!

MORE ON THE SAME SUBJECT

HELLO MIKE <> I hope you're still around, 'cause it looks like nobody has been here for a while... I am the newest kid on the block, and was linked here by a fellow member of the DIY Projection Board, because I have been shooting off my mouth about the idea of putting a mini LCD in the aperature of a 35mm slide projector to make up a TV Projector... It seemed to me that this would be THE ultimate setup... The only real reservation I had concerned what the resolution of the projected image would look like after being blown up several hundred times... And your results and pics have convinced me that it's gonna be fine!... Now, I see you have some problems with cooling AND the cost, lifespan, and availability of replacement bulbs... Here's my 2 cents worth on those subjects: I planned to cool both the lamp AND the aperature area with a couple of muffin fans, or small squirrel-cage blowers... RE the bulbs: There is a HUGE variety of rare gas filled bulbs available in many wattage ranges, right now... Depending on what your screen size will be, there should be something available that is reasonably priced, long lived, and readily available... It may have been intended for automotive use, outdoor lighting, maybe even marine or aeonautical use, but there is nothing to stop us from modifying it to use in our slide projector setup... If it's some wierd voltage, or DC, we can make up a power supply IF it fills all the specs we are looking for... And we can also make up improved optics to focus it onto our aperature IF it's worth the trouble to improve what we have to start with... IF you want to discuss this stuff, please post a reply... Anyhoo, thanks for the info you have already posted: it confirms to me that I'm on the right track, and that my ideas do actually work as I expected they would... ;-}

Sorry to burst your bubble--but I gave up o n this approch. The resolution was just two low, the pixils on a 110" screen where about the size of golfballs. All things consitered, this project wetted my appitite for building a projector, but after the 'wow' factor wared off, the picture really was not watchable. I would go with the overhead/lcd panel approch if I were you--it would yeld a much better image.

Sorry for the bad news,
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.