Cyburgs-Monitor for CSS FR125S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bryce H. asked me to translate my plans for the Cyburgs-Monitor into English, this is a highly welcomed reason to do it finally.
Here they are (sorry for the lacking finish, I promise to post pictures of the final versions, as soon as I have them):
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The enclosure is of the type closed with high-pass capacitor. The trick is to make the volume of the enclosure too small, so that the Qb is fairly over 1, and to filter the resulting hunch in the bass frequency with a capacitor, so that a flat frequency curve is resulting. This works very well with drivers normally suitable for BR with not too low Q but low Fs.
The resulting f-3 is then between the closed enclosure and BR enclosure, but the volume is usually much smaller then both.
In the case of the Cyburgs-monitor we are speaking of 6,5 liters inner volume and a f-3 of under 50 Hz, which is really not a bad result, in my opinion.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The measured descent in the hights was reason for much discussion in the german Hifi-forum. I want to say the following to this topic:
- The CSS FR125S sound very nice and well balanced in the heights, but not so crisp than a Fostex FE126E for example (which can get annoying in some situations, BTW).
- The frequency curve measuered by the german HiFi-Magazine Hobby-Hifi showed also a light descent in the heights, but not so much as in my measurements. According to their measurements the heights go on at this slightly lower level with some ups and downs up to 40000 Hz, which is fantastic.

How do they sound?
It is always amazing, how "big" this tiny speakers sound. The low f-3 together with the high excursion of the driver gives solid fast bass reproduction without any tendency of getting boomy. The mids are linear and unspectacular in the best sense, the heights are nice, provided that the speakers are turned in to the listener. The soundstage is like with most fullangers excellent.

The only drawback in my opinion is the extremely low sensitivity of about 75 dB in free air, so the amplifier should at least give solid 30Wsin, better more. This can be tight for tube lovers.

I would say that they are the perfect speakers for small/medium rooms without space for floorstanders. Also a home cinema with a set of these speakers would be a nice idea, as they are small and magnetically shielded. A forum colleague in germany is currently building such a multispeaker set. But be careful when you show them to friends. I did, and the result is that I have to build at least two further pairs :xeye: :D
Here is the plan:

Nice greetings, Berndt

Berndt,

How would your Cybrugs-Monitor fair in a near field application? I am in need of some PC speakers and think your monitor design may be the ticket (small footprint, yet maintain bass).

Can you elaborate a little more on the crossover for this speaker design? I assume the network after the large cap is a notch filter or something, but would like to understand better the role it plays in the design.

Also… 470uf is quite large and again I assume this is accomplished by an electrolytic capacitor. Can you or someone please provide a recommendation for 470uf (I have never used electrolytic caps for speaker building before)?

Thanks,
Chris

@Cyburgs:
Do you have any particular experience with subwoofers to go with this design? Or, for that matter, your loudspeaker designs in general?

I'm currently rather interested in building a pair of Needles and a Ripol sub to go with them:
http://lautsprechershop.de/hifi/index_en.htm?/hifi/ripol_en.htm
Lots of aesthetic potential, and I know the Needles to sound good, too :)

Considering that the Monitors don't play all that low, maybe this is an appropriate thread for subwoofer suggestions.

Another winner, thanks Berndt.

To use highpass elcaps in the passive crossovers to overcome problems with the low end in certain loudspeaker/enclosure combinations seems to get very fashionable in Germany/Austria etc. - not here in DIYaudio as far as I see - and I see clever potentials in this approach.
Still, the soundquality of a 450µF cap puzzles me. Would it not be much more feasible to establish the highpass much earlier in the chain, that means within the amps?
Suggestions could be to make the output cap smaller with Zen amps, or the input cap - which then can be much cheaper and still be of high quality - of chipamps, or maybe even the NFB cap in conventional AB amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.