My Girlfriend's Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, all of you who attended the NWDIY at Raw Acoustics(thanks Al!) know that my girlfriend, Vanessa, walked away with the grand prize, a Adire Tempest!(thanks Dan!) I was pretty happy that she won because the math I did was: Vanessa's Sub = Sean's Sub. Not so. You will all be happy to know that she WILL be keeping the sub, although I will have the honour of building the enclosure. I will get to keep the sub at my house(she lives in a small apartment) but she has been very clear at explaining that it is HER sub.

I had just finished putting together my sealed Shiva(which is 3" smaller, but I'm not bitter) with a Qts of ~0.6. So I figured I should go all out crazy HT ported sub.(but not as crazy as BrianGT's EBS) I was thinking along the lines of the SBB4 design. I have about 24"x24"x36"tall (outer dimensions) to work with. Any suggestions?

This whole experience has turned out to be a very interesting (although unplanned) experiment. Although my girlfriend never really complained, she did comment (with a slightly concerned tone) that my (18"x18"x24") shiva was "really big". But, since the tempest is her sub, I have been asking her about how she would like it built. She seems to want it as large as possible!!!

Moral of the Story: If you want huge speakers, get your wife to win them. (how? I don't know...)

I would like to comment on how great everyone was at the party. She told me that when her number was drawn, she expected that someone was going to complain that "a girl won?!?" or "re-draw!! It's useless to her!". But everyone was really great. One guy said, (jokingly) "She probably doesn't even know what it is!!!" To which she replied, (also jokingly) "I don't!".
But she did. Subs are all she heard me talking about the whole time I was building mine.

So here she is...

Attachments

• vanessa2.jpg
    vanessa2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 560
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
seangoesbonk said:
But, since the tempest is her sub, I have been asking her about how she would like it built. She seems to want it as large as possible!!!

If you are considering 24"x24"x36", the extra 12" of vertical space really isn't that big of a deal, since it takes up the same footprint... and 4" of that is the feet.

picture shown isn't the finished sub, which is downfiring...

now... if only I could get my girlfriend interested in subwoofers.. that would be the day!

--
Brian

Attachments

• aaq.jpg
    aaq.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 499
seangoesbonk said:
I was pretty happy that she won because the math I did was: Vanessa's Sub = Sean's Sub. Not so. You will all be happy to know that she WILL be keeping the sub, although I will have the honour of building the enclosure. I will get to keep the sub at my house(she lives in a small apartment) but she has been very clear at explaining that it is HER sub.

Somehow, if you wind up marrying her I don't think that

"what's your is mine and what's mine is mine" is gonna fly!;)

Nice looking driver - and nice looking girl friend. I think you're gonna do well with both.

Besides, any women that goes with you to one of these events needs to have a sub she can call her own.:D

Ken

Good to hear that she had a good time as well as you.Over all went very well with lots going on at the same time.
I will be hosting another event in a few months again.More on this at a later date.
This one will be more around subs I am thinking.
With 4 on the go at this time and CSS working on a few it is a good bet .

:D :cool:

Al

seangoesbonk said:
You will all be happy to know that she WILL be keeping the sub, although I will have the honour of building the enclosure. I will get to keep the sub at my house(she lives in a small apartment) but she has been very clear at explaining that it is HER sub.

A Gordian knot.
But your sub-conscious already knows how to deal with that :D

Marc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.