Pics of my RS 1354 bipoles w/ PR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These are my current project. The cabinets are old Epicure speaker cabs which originally housed an 8" woofer and a soft dome tweeter. None of the speakers worked however when I saw them in a pawn shop. I paid $15.00 for the pair.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k189/3-LockBox/DCP_0046.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k189/3-LockBox/DCP_0047.jpg

Those are venerable old RatShack 40-1354 5.25" fullrange dual cone drivers (front and back) and the larger driver is a Dayton 8" passive radiator. The 1354s are wired in parallel for a 4 ohm load.

No contour network. No helper tweeter (yet), and on the right source equipment, no helper tweeter necessary.

I got the RS 1354s on closeout years ago for 2 to 5 dollars (US). The PRs are from Parts Express ($15.00 ea).

Total cost around $60-$65. I have the original grills (in decent shape) but haven't gotten around to putting them back on. They were originally glued to the front baffle.

I should add that I'm extremely pleased with the sound of this speaker. This speaker first housed a front firing port and the bass was so muddy. Sealing the cabinet zapped it for bass. The PR sounds great and is magical on jazz recordings playing through my Super T amp.

That's pretty neat looking. Are you going to bring them to the Contest?

Another thing, ignore Godzilla, he's tweeter crazed ;)
I think it stems from the fact that he can still hear that high, but as with everything else; in time, that too will pass.

Anyhow, hopefully we'll see you there and get some measurements for you.
Best Regards,
TerryO

TerryO said:
That's pretty neat looking. Are you going to bring them to the Contest?

Another thing, ignore Godzilla, he's tweeter crazed ;)
I think it stems from the fact that he can still hear that high, but as with everything else; in time, that too will pass.

Anyhow, hopefully we'll see you there and get some measurements for you.
Best Regards,
TerryO

Yes, I do plan on bringing these (sans tweeters), cuz I want to get them 'measured' by pros. No, I don't think they'll place in a contest, but I'm not worried about winning either.

But one thing is for sure, Fullrange, single driver designs are a lot more feasible for me, now that I own a T-amp. These things are lack-lustre on a regular old SS amp. Not only is the mid range better, but the bass is better on my Super T.

Godzilla said:
http://www.zillaspeak.com/ZillaSpeakStraightPipeForSale.asp

tweetah... 8 ohm across the terminals, .47uf to the +

I wonder how it sounds with the passive? Always wanted to do a passive...

Usually i just wire the tweeter so you can't even hear it... but i think the 1354 needs a bit o tweet.

Enjoy. Love the old EPI box!

I was thinking about a rear mounted tweet ala 'Zilla, actually. I'll prolly wait until after the contest. But seriously, I like it fine with the right source equipment. But then again, I have no problem with EQing the sound either, which is what I do to a small degree.

3-LockBox said:

I was thinking about a rear mounted tweet ala 'Zilla, actually. I'll prolly wait until after the contest. But seriously, I like it fine with the right source equipment. But then again, I have no problem with EQing the sound either, which is what I do to a small degree.

Zilla's done the tweeter thing so he knows of what he speaks. You know you could install the tweeters and crossover but leave them disconnected for the contest, if you felt you needed more time to tweek. OTOH, you have a dynamite full range entry.
I'm really looking forward to hearing them.
Best Regards,
TerryO

theAnonymous1 said:
I have two pairs of theses drivers, seems like a fun design to play with.

What is the tuning frequency of the PR? Would there be any benefit to having a PR on each side, making even the PR's bipole?

This is a .75 cu.ft cabinet. Two 1354s barely drive the 8" PR adequately enough, so I doubt they'd drive two. I wouldn't try a larger cab either, though supposedly these driver's VAS is approx .75 cu.ft.

All the specs list is the fs of the PR @ 21hz, but I'm sure it resonates higher freqs than that. There was no chart or instructions as to how to tune it. There is a threaded pole piece for adding mass to it, however. I'm running it with no added mass.

It just does augment the lower end. Don't expect a sub-like response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.