Nad cd 5000 : replace laser pickup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello people, i'm gonna replace my laser pickup of my nad cd player. the type: cd 5000 monitor serie.

i have opened the cd player and have got out a part a the transport mecanism. but now i'm stuck, i have to get out the acutal laser pickup out of the system. can anybody show me the way out ?

also i should pay attention to ESD when i touch the laser pickup. what exactly should i do ? i know grounding myself: but to what ? and should i ground the laser pickup and how ?

i have put some photo's to it, otherwise it may be hard to understand.

(ps: if i could remove the white wheels the laser unit would come off very fast, but i don't know how to do it, and i don't think that is the way to do it. )

thanx people

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Remove the screw from the left nylon gear and remove the gear. Looks like you've already removed the guide shaft and you need to remove the top of the rack (black thing with teeth that engages with the removed gear) by pushing it towards the front of the player... watch the spring as it tends to fly out.... SPROING. You need that for the new laser assembly.

Remember to remove any ant-static solder blobs from the new laser just before you install it and relubricate the slides.

the problem is : there is no screw: i have taken a better picture. i have found the macro-feature on the camera( oeps).

i have seen how the spring can get off, that's clear to me

so how can i detach the left gear ? is the copper ring pressed on it ? can i damage something ?

and what is ant-statx- solder blobs, hahaah
never heard of them (i'm a beginner) how do they look, i will open the box of the new laser pickup, but i'm afraid that if i tough it without grounding, i will brake it .

thanx so much rabbitz, i'm getting smarter every minute

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi then_dude,
Your gear is held on with either a split washer (I hope) or one that deforms to go on, difficult to remove.

Watch the washer doesn't go flying! Knife blade will help, if it is not a split washer, you can cut it and make it a split washer. Use a razor blade for that.

-Chris

yep i got it off,
and yes i got fly away, damn
haha
i was warned, still i didn't thought it would go that fast

i found it haha,

okee, i have the laser pickup,

the new one i have in an antistatic bag ?

but what are anti stat lobs ?

and how can i protect myself of killing the laser

thanx people

(this is really a on line guided help: i thank you so much guys)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi then_dude,
If it's hot and humid where you are, don't worry about static. Just touch the metal chassis while holding the head before you plug it in. Then desolder the shorting blob. No biggie unless you are using a cheap iron without a grounded tip.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi rabbitz,
One never knows what new heads they come out with. It's safer to ask.

If this is a KSS-210 or 150 head, there will be one solder blob as a short.

Also, those early glides (see pic# 2, black piece) used to warp. Aftrer installing the head, but before the drive gear, push the head lightly back and forth. It should move smoothly without too much variation in pressure. If you find it tightens up, undo the screw closest to that side. This warping changes the focus and other alignment. It's best to use a new sub assy. if you can. Make sure they are same motors! You should be replacing the disc motor at any rate.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.