Ess driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there.
I have been offered a set of ESS performance series model PS8A. They have an Heil air motion driver. Please check the picture. Is that model anny good, or is it just old junk.

Anny input will be welcome.

Thanks Peter Jensen

Attachments

• ess.jpg
    ess.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,129
I'd say it is an AMT-2 with some strange grille in front of it. The current AMT-2 are excellent, but I don't know about older stuff. And I believe replacement diapraghms are available, check www.hifisound.de.

If the whole speaker is from ESS and if it is about 20-30 years old, there are two more things to be said (from what I have gathered from other sources on the web):
- the foam surround of the woofer is likely to have rotted away
- the whole bass alignment is not what one would expect

=> You might want to get them for salvaging the driver alone. A new AMT-2 in the cheapest case will sell around 250 Euros a piece here.

Regards,

Eric

Hi again. Thaks Eric.

The whole speaker is from ESS but the original Bas and slave has been replaced with monacor drivers :rolleyes: I was just thinking of using the ESS driver in an other speaker and sell of the monacor drivers, and use teh rest as fire wood. :flame: How good is an old AMT-2? What sensitivity and freq range? The seller is asking About $260 for the complete speaker. I might be able to get it a litte cheaper.

Thanks Peter:)

I have owned a few ESS speakers and the Heil tweeters are excellent even by todays standards.The rest of the speaker unfortunately is not.Even the full size AMTs leave a bit to be desired with the older designs.But I think the Heil drivers are great for a DIY project.I had the big Heils mated with Dynaudio 21W54 and the sound was awesome.So no even their baby brothers are not junk!

ESS

ESS is just down the road, from what I can tell, they have been in business continually since the Nelson Pass/ Oskar Heil days. Quality has been up and down as each new company owner has tried to do more with less.

I think the answer is about like jetting DCOE Webers..... "sometimes you just have to plug em in and what sort of sound it makes"

cyclotronguy

Don't junk it!

I just sold one of those after enjoying it for 12 months.

The tweeter is very very good. It sounds similar to the bigger AMT1 dipole tweeter but less strength, very lush and strong, detailed, efficient. It will beat many expensive fancy dome tweeters such as US$200 each Scanspeak 9800, 9500 8513; Seas T25CF002 Milleniums etc. The Heil ribbon inside is stuck on with glue under the top/bottom paper enclosures. Try a 3rd order crossover around 2.5 - 4k, 2-3 way.

Greetings. I know this is an ancient thread, but I have to chime in. I own a pair of Concept CE-Monitors. They are the highest end ESS speakers with AMT mid-tweeters. These are wonderful speakers I have enjoyed for over 25 years. I've never heard a mid/tweeter that sounded better in the home. They are crossed over at 800hz @ 12 db per octive. 93 db sensitivity 1 watt @ 1 meter. These are still available with very little change since I bought mine from essspeaker.com. I've never been thrilled with the bottom end and now, after all this time I'm looking for a bass enclosure that will adequately match the tweeters. If you can get the tweeters cheap (try ebay) do try to build a system and enjoy it for the rest of your life.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.