My DIY Turntable......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...coming on nicely. Just got to get a motor and PS sorted (hence the wait for more money!). After so many useless motors I am goung to go for a brand new LP12 job as I am using a Linn subplatter. I am going to go with belt drive for the momment but with the possibility of converting it to idler drive.....not sure yet, I would have prefered a more powerfull motor if going that route, we'll se what it sounds like first.

Main plinth is made up of 4 layers of 18mm birch ply and is veneered with burr oak. I am still looking for some suitable (soft) isolating feet that are adjustable.

Outer platter is a Thorens TD160, much cheaper than a Linn item. The center needed releiving slightly (wet and dry did the trick) and I will have to make the level up with the mat as it sits too low on the Linn sub platter.

Sub platter is 2 bits of 12mm acrylic and it sits on some carbon isolators. The motor will be mounted directly on the birch ply plinth thus hopefully giving decent isolation but with a nice direct drive path. The motor sits closer to the sub platter than on a LP12 so I will have to sort out a shorter belt.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Paul.

Cool project.

If you need to shim that Thorens platter up to the Linn sub-platter, try three automotive/motorcycle valve shims.

E.g. - for my FZS600, shims are available from just over 1mm to well over 2mm in 0.01mm increments.

I used this successfully for a one-off acrylic platter I bought for my ownshend Rock whose playing surface was over 1mm below the original plaster/vinyl one.

A.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.