x-bosoz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a modification to update the BOSOZ.
Please note that there is no need of output capacitors.

Any comment will be appreciated.

Attachments

• x-bosoz-1.jpg
    x-bosoz-1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 5,625
Hi Peter

It looks pretty much Nelsons patent.
I think You need some inputresistors, or you have to trust the outputimpedance of signalsource.

May be the value of R8 is too high, try to short it, and add some more feedback.

Could You explain some more of Your point of views on this one.

I would like to do some sims, but it will be in the evening.

Could be an interting project.

:)

If You take away the folded cascodes, You end up with a simple XBOSOZ or a XSOZ for that matter.
As I remember, Nelson once talked about these folded casodes, and I thik his reason to implant these was to acheve better linearity at frequences higer than the audioband, >100kHz.
So do we need them at all?

Henrik said:
If You take away the folded cascodes, You end up with a simple XBOSOZ or a XSOZ for that matter.
As I remember, Nelson once talked about these folded casodes, and I thik his reason to implant these was to acheve better linearity at frequences higer than the audioband, >100kHz.
So do we need them at all?

I'm not sure how high it stays linear, but perhaps it helps keep AM (medium-wave, in Europe? 550kHz to 1600 kHz) band signals from producing modulation products that end up in the audio band?

Erik

I would agree the second cascoded stage is not so important for small signal, audio frequency and low gain application. In this circuit, I intended to level shift the output signal to eliminate the potential dc voltage to a quite low value. This can be done by adjusting the potentiometers VR1 and VR2 in the circuit. Thus, the output capacitor shown in the original bosoz project can be kicked away. I don't like signal capacitors.

In this circuit, the original bosoz parts is still remained in and only two p mosfet and three 750 Ohm resistors are added. It would be quit easy to modify the original bosoz, if you had constructed one. I constructed a bosoz without pcb and preserve some space to upgrade.

I don't like feedback either. I would take out the resistors, R4 and R10.

I hope somebody can help to analyze performances of this circuit.

Thanks.

Gain, Distortion and Feedback

I found that the gain of the circuit should be adjusted to be higher when the feedback is increased, but the distortion of the signal may be increased with the gain,too. There must be a compromise. Could you have the idea or method to get an optimum feedback?

UrSv, thank you.

Active current source

The amplitude deviation of two output signals could be concerned.

I would think the active current source invented by Pass highly improves efficiency perfomance of a class A power amplifier with heavy load.

In Aleph P1.7, I think that those are constant current sources.

A constant current source with temperature compensation will be preferred in this circuit.

Any suggestion is welcome and stimulate our brain. Thanks.

Here is a simulation of frequency response for this circuit.
There is a rolling-off at high frequency.
If the IRF9620 is replaced by the IRF9610, the high frequency response would be better.

Is there any idea, comment, suggestion or modification?
Thanks.

Attachments

• x-bosoz-1-ac-output.jpg
    x-bosoz-1-ac-output.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,346
I built the circuit just 2 days ago .

First I say : it works with or without the R4 R10 (feedback / X ).

As a unbal/bal converter : I pull out R3 and R13 and add 2 resistors at the imput ( 2,2k ).

This circuit works , at my opinion , pretty good like a converter;

As usual I prefer to drive it balanced .

Well : it has a very defined soundstage , enormous from left to right , no noise (absolutely) and big dinamics.

It worths to be build and listen .

Good observations...

Yes , the diff pair resistor (set the gain) 47ohm , is exatly what I use.

Also 4 matched mosfets (2 irf9610 and 2 irf610) all with same VGS
do the thing right.

At the output , 10 millivolts ; at the input a fiew millivolts but I still use coupling capacitors .

For trimming the cascode fets : 100K ohm from the positive supply rail to the gate pin of Q1 and Q4 and then a 20k pot + 30k ohm to ground is pretty good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.