Filling cracks in veneer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,
I’ve almost finished the first of my pair of new speakers.

The look is blatantly ripped from the Avalon Acoustics line but the drive units are completely different: Seas T25CF-001 soft dome Excel tweeter, Audax HM130C0 5.25” midrange and Seas L22RN4X/P 8” aluminium woofers (thanks Shin!).

As you can see, the veneering is done but there is one problem...

Attachments

• veneered1.jpg
    veneered1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 651
There are a few areas where sections of the figured maple veneer has chipped off during trimming. I’ve tried using wood filler but the colour, while close, isn’t correct. The best colour match I’ve managed so far is to use dust from sanding the veneer and mix this with a little PVA glue to make my own filler. I haven’t tried varnishing this mixture yet so I’m not sure if it will affect the final outcome.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Finally, I'd like to bring out the grain but not darken the wood. Any advice on suitable products to achieve this?

Nice one,
David.

Attachments

• chipped1.jpg
    chipped1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 564
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Varnishing will be fine as far as PVA and sawdust goes, if you want to stain to bring out the figure, then that might be more of a problem.

I would use your home made filler, then a couple of coats of tung oil to seal the wood. Then you can use tinted rubbing wax to bring out the figure. The more coats of wax, the better the finish.

Oh, and I can see sanding marks on your veneer. They will have to go. Remember, preparation, preparation, preparation!

I ran into a similar problem when veneering with raw paduak (sp?). My solution was to use scissor to clip out a very small piece of veneer in rough proportions to the place to be filled. After wetting both the small veneer piece and the substrate with glue, I used a hot iron to iron the filler piece in.

After sanding out the high spots and overhang, the color of course was perfect. The height was also perfect. However, I didn't take care to align the grain so the transition was visible a close distances but less noticable from afar (ie. the listening distance).

Barry

If I had to replace a little damage like that I'd use a hammer and punch to remove a circle / the bad bit off, then use the same punch to cut a new piece of veneer and glue it in / trim with scalpel.

If you need a punch give me a mail and I'll send you one (let me know what diameter circle you'd want to cut out)

Rob.

I ran into a similar problem when veneering with raw paduak (sp?). My solution was to use scissor to clip out a very small piece of veneer in rough proportions to the place to be filled. After wetting both the small veneer piece and the substrate with glue, I used a hot iron to iron the filler piece in.

After sanding out the high spots and overhang, the color of course was perfect. The height was also perfect. However, I didn't take care to align the grain so the transition was visible a close distances but less noticable from afar (ie. the listening distance).

Barry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.