LM3875 with snubberized PS on the same PCB ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I plan building a power amp using LM3875 for my OPA3124 pre (ESP88). I wonder if

1). Can the LM3875 and big PS (10,000+1500FC+0.1 per rail) be in the same board? ( One tranny 24-0-24 240VA per channel)

2). Will it hurt from the current ripple can cause hum or ground problem?

3). Will having 1 Ohm res between the main ground and the signal ground help?

4) Will having 0.1 Ohm 5 W in series between the 10,000 cap and 1,500 cap help?

5). Is the (10,000+1,500FC) overkilled, or (4,700 + 1,500FC) per rail is sufficient?

Thanks in advance!

1). Can the LM3875 and big PS (10,000+1500FC+0.1 per rail) be in the same board? ( One tranny 24-0-24 240VA per channel)

Nina>> That's fine. Dual mono config.

2). Will it hurt from the current ripple can cause hum or ground problem? 3). Will having 1 Ohm res between the main ground and the signal ground help?

Nina>> 1 Ohm is too small for that current. 100 Ohm 1W should be better, I think. ( I saw on the Leach amp, they use ~ 82 Ohm).

4) Will having 0.1 Ohm 5 W in series between the 10,000 cap and 1,500 cap help?

Nina>> Don't know. May be Carlos, Nuuk and people here can answer you this question.

5). Is the (10,000+1,500FC) overkilled, or (4,700 + 1,500FC) per rail is sufficient?

Nina>> According to Nelson Pass's article, The bigger the better. Big capacitors hold more charge. So, 10,000 is better if you already have/can affort it.

Carlos, in this case, do we really needs both RC ( the 0.1R one orginally at PS, and the 0.47R near the clip) ???

:confused:

Nina: Thanks for your comment. I would try the 4,700+1,500 per rail first, and keep four of my 10,000UF cap for other projects

tobias_svensk:

I did search and look for a member named Mr Ed but in vain. Could you hint me more?

BTW, thanks for the pic. THAT is what in my mind now ( except mine will be point-2-point on vero board, and the chip is in flat position, because I cannot make the PCB -___-" )

Carlos:

How about the RC(s)? Do we still need both of them even they are on the same board?

Upupa Epops :

I cannot find your PCB on the posts. Could you share us your PCB and experience? Thanks!

Upupa Epops said:
Why " not practical ", Carlos ? Look at my PCB - any problems with wiring, no hum, easy assembling... Yes, no space for own experiments, it is " problem "... ;)

It may not be practical in terms of size, just that.
If you put diodes, 4,700uF + 1R + 2~3x10,000uF caps on the amp board it will be a big PCB, in some cases not practical to assemble on a chassis/heatsink.
It can be made, of course.

Btw I have no hum too. :cool:
But I understand what you mean, two channels on one board is less likely to give hum problems if you don't know how to wire things properly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.