Can i build my own Soundpads??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, I read the little snippit on them in the link. I'm just not sure whether these are a good idea or if a little too much red wine was consumed during their inception. Now if this were simply a woofer motor (read "bass shaker") used for augmenting the bass of some small satellites, well then there's a litlle more sense to them. I'm just not in on the theory.

BES Panels

BES panel speakers used this concept well. They were planel speakers that used a sheet of styrofoam about 1/2" thick about 2'x 3' for the bass and 2' x 1' for the mids, Cone tweeter. They had the driver hooked to the panel via glue and the back of t he driver was mounted to a thin almum frame. I used these for many year before selling them and making my First DIY's. They imageing on them was fantsic but they were pwr hungry(lot of mass to move) other than that great speakers.

It is an NXT style transducer. Just a VC in a small carrier, AFAIK. These are actually interesting devices, while they work with any placement on thin surfaces, there are probably a few locations that work better than others. They work by exciting the entire surface they are attached to.

It is not some revolutionary technology - there hasn't been a real innovation in speakers in many years and almost everything you read on the net about various designs is just advertising hyperbole. Even the best ideas always involve tradeoffs.

I haven't heard how they sound but from what I have read, when these are used with NXT technology, the entire surface becomes the radiating surface. unlike ordinary speakers, the front and back are in phase. not 180 degrees out of phase. the panel is excited much like the waves in the ocean and not like a piston movement. sound dispersion is also said to be a full 360 degrees. even at the sides of the panel.

although to get all those properties, they use a software that predicts where you put the transducer. you enter panel stiffness, shape etc.

My sister had a pair of NXT speakers- the TDK S80. The children trashed them to very near total destruction, but I managed to salvage the transducers. The panels were like stiff polystyrene foam, with a stiff paper or plastic layer on both sides. Some round weights were attached, maybe to assist in the distribution of the bending waves. The transducers have a magnet assembly, and voice-coil attached with a conventional looking corrugated spider. In place of the cone, there is a flattened face to the end of the coil/spider assembly which is glued to the panel. The magnet just hangs by the suspension. The frequency response was good- surprising really, it's low frequencies that they struggle with, they need the supplied sub. I will have a go at some cardboard loudspeakers using them; there was a thread about this a while ago.

slowfly said:
Is it possible to make my own ??
Have anybody made one???

Hello everyone,

First time posting here and don't know much about this web site.

I'm D.I.Y.-ing some DML speakers, and just happened to find this thread, originally hoping to find some resources regarding DMLs myself.

Anyhow, I've bought a set of the SI-5 SoundPads and have used a sheet of 20-inch x 30-inch (50.8 cm x 76.2 cm) foam-core posterboard. I mounted the exciters at 1/3rd the height and 1/3rd the width of the posterboard, and here I attached some results of measurements.

For the SPL, there is a large peak around 5 kHz which colors the sound. I may think of passive- or actively EQ-ing it out since it doesn't make the DMLs sound very nice.

Here is the impedance sweep. One can see the multiple impedance peaks in this plot, which is a characteristic of Distributed Mode Loudspeakers.

Attachments

• dml_responseimp.jpg
    dml_responseimp.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 252
i too have a pair of these pads

haven't fully experimented with them yet. IMHO, the previous frequency response accurately describe what they sound like. i wish they didn't have a "hollow" sound, although this depends to a degree on what they are mounted with.

for my experiments, i stuck them with removable double sided tape) to a 2 x 3 ft piece of foam board (aka project boards).

i had better sound by mounting onto the inside of a large flat cardboard box (around 4 ft x 1 ft x 6") and the sound improved.

people have reported success mounting these pads on the inside of fedex boxes (check the decware board)

however, their most redeeming attribute, not shown up by the graphs, is their extremely large (i would even say lack of) sweet spot. i could be almost sideways to them with minimal off-axis fall off.

my idea for a suitable application would be for surround speakers or background music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.