My $13 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today I started building my new surround sound speakers using TB W3 871s. I am building 10 sided cubes with free drivers (from a very nice person) and old wood from my last test boxes. The only thing I had to buy was binding posts, and they cost $13. I thought I might as well go all out on the binding posts, since I'm not spending any other money.

Dave (Planet10) suggested building aperiodic enclosures, so I thought I would try it out. Below is a picture of test fitting the pieces of wood. For the aperiodic vent I'm using fiberglass insulation and on either side of it are mesh gutter guards.

I was unable to make a lot of progress because my mom and I are remodeling our garage appartment ourselves. Because of the remodel we have lots of insulation. The gutter guards are old, so they were free also.

I wanted to know if I should line the interior of the cabinet with carpet padding, also free. I read that there should be a clear pathway from the back of the driver to the aperiodic vent, so I'm guessing I shouldn't use too much poly-fil.

If you go to my website there are more pictures of the progress so far.

Thanks,

Josh

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
edjosh23 said:
I wanted to know if I should line the interior of the cabinet with carpet padding, also free. I read that there should be a clear pathway from the back of the driver to the aperiodic vent, so I'm guessing I shouldn't use too much poly-fil.

Yes on the wall-linings... i like to lightly fill the interior of the box with poly-fluff (or similar)

dave

Thanks a lot Dave for all the help and suggestions. I'm excited about this project, neither of my parents know how to even use a table saw, so figuring out all of the 45 degree cuts were difficult, when the ousides were odd lengths like the square root of 2 and another was the square root of 8.

Also how can I come up with a filter for these speakers, I've seen John's, but he says only use it with his boxes.

Thanks,

Josh

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
edjosh23 said:
Also how can I come up with a filter for these speakers, I've seen John's, but he says only use it with his boxes.

You can do some iterative guesses, but it really helps to have some measurements in front of you as a guide... with Brian doing mic measure boards i expect there should be measuring kit in the "family" soon.

dave

Re: Re: My $13 project

jjdche said:

Cubes have 6 sides. ;)

not always, this cube (built by a diyaudio member) is 26 sided. I wanted to build something like that at first, then I decided not to. I thought my box would be even harder since it is sooo small, and I'm 17 and have no one to show me how to work a table saw well.

I wanted the exterior to be low diffraction, and the interior to be have less dips and peaks, I'm guessing I will only have like +- 3db, well I'm hoping. I'm also going to add some wood to the internal sides of the enclosure so they aren't flat and the box will be more of "the perfect box".

I'm slowly learning how to get to use my table saw. Cutting the 45degree cuts that were less than 1.5" on the long side were not going to be easy, but I managed to figure it out.

Thanks,

Josh

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: My $13 project

edjosh23 said:
not always, this cube (built by a diyaudio member) is 26 sided

Matter of semantics... the above is not a cube. A cube is a platonic solid that has 6 faces, each of which is a square and at 90 degrees to any adjacent size.

The above is based on a cube, but with truncated edges... it would be called an irregular Rhombi-Caduceus.

dave

Thanks Dave, Its a good thing I didn't try to make an irregular rhombi-caduceus. I would hae never figured out all that math.

jaudio, they are all 45degree angles. I used my table saw (Ryobi BT3100). I was bored in AP statistics, so I spent the entire period coming up with the design and side size.

I did a lot more work today, but was unable to finish all of it. I managed to use way too much glue and it took a very long time to glue. Right now each "irregular octagonal prism" is missing the side with the aperiodic vent, and one large side.

The aperiodic vents were/are really hard to cut, because I tried to use my router on that tiny piece of wood and it would move all over, even when I clamped wood all around it so it wouldn't move.

I was wondering if I could spray paint the fiberglass insulation, or if there was anything else I could use. I have lots of poly-fil laying around. Would densely packed poly-fil create the same effect as fiberglass insulation?

Thanks,

Josh

Here is a picture of all the cuts I made yesterday
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
edjosh23 said:
they are all 45degree angles.

if you had cut all the "side" cuts at 22.5, each piece would be the same where they joined.

I was wondering if I could spray paint the fiberglass insulation, or if there was anything else I could use. I have lots of poly-fil laying around. Would densely packed poly-fil create the same effect as fiberglass insulation?

Polyfill isn't as effective as fiberglass, so it would depend on the tuning you end up with. Don't paint the fiberglass, but there is no reason you can't add a piece of doubleknit to the sandwich.

dave

planet10 said:

if you had cut all the "side" cuts at 22.5, each piece would be the same where they joined.

Polyfill isn't as effective as fiberglass, so it would depend on the tuning you end up with. Don't paint the fiberglass, but there is no reason you can't add a piece of doubleknit to the sandwich.

dave

Dave, What is doubleknit?

Thanks,

Josh

I'm 17 and have no one to show me how to work a table saw well.

I know you have probably heard it too many times, but once more likely wont kill you. Safety first!

1) Unplug all your tools before you adjust them in any way.
2) Use push sticks any time your hand is even remotely close to the blade, and
3) Always use safety glasses.

Saving 30 seconds here or there is something you will regret for the rest of your life if you get hurt.

Good luck with your project, it looks like you have made a great start!

Thanks Dave, I'll look for some.

To Jason and Solinar,
My Mom's dad owned a hardware store and cut off his pinky. He came in town and gave me an hour lecture about what not todo. I have bought a push stick that works really well. I refuse to touch the wood if my hands are withing 3" from the plastic blade cover. My Mom also went over safety stuff with me right after I got it for my birthday.

What I'm a little more worried about is the router, my Mom had never seen one before i bought it. I had a friends dad (who can show me how to use a table saw but I haven't been there in a while) show me the gist of using a router. I've gotten good enough to do simeple things like make flushmounts, and roundovers, but unfortunately I haven't bought a guide (in fat can anyone recomend an online store to buy a clamping guide from?). What was so difficult about this project was the aperiodic vent is on a piece that has 45 degree cuts on both sides, and the outside (longer part of it) is only 2.8" (square root of 8) long, and 4" wide. For the aperiodic vent I'm doing a 1/16" flushmount for the mesh gutter guard. I actually did it somehow on one of the peices, but I'm having trouble with the other.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.