Best Audio Connector Is ____?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you all think is the best connector for conveying line level audio signals?

-RCA?
-stereo miniplug?
-stereo 1/4 phono?
-XLR?
-USB, Firewire (thinking iPod here)?
-direct solder connections lacking connectors?
- Other (Neutrik Speakon, etc...) Heck for some reason I put 9 pin DIN connectors on all my DIY stuff, maybe this is ok?

Throw in whatever disclaimers you think apply.

If direct soldered connections aren't a viable solution, my preference is Redel, which is basically a plastic version of the Lemo B series connectors.

They can be had in crimp, solder, straight and right angle PC mount versions as well as several keying options so the same connectors can be used for multiple applications (I use 'em for line level, speaker level and power feed).

se

Attachments

• lemo-2.jpg
    lemo-2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 797
Locking DIN

The like using the locking DIN on my homemade equipment. They are cheap and have little sound of their own. The ones used by DNM are my fave.
Wish there was a matching RCA jack to go with the Eichmann plugs. The plugs are a big step up from the others. It is hard to remove all the RCA connections from your system.

George

Re: Why Plastic?

Elso Kwak said:
Why plastic, Steve?
:confused:

Simply because I've found I prefer plastic to big chunks of metal. The metal connectors certainly look sexier. But sonically, I ultmately preferred the plastic Redels.

Took me a while though. When the area Lemo rep suggested I try the Redels and gave me some samples some 14 years ago, I took one look at 'em and just tossed 'em into my sample box. That's where they stayed until a few years ago when I gave 'em a chance and found that my prejudice against plastic was just that. :)

se

slowmotion said:
IMHO hardwired is the best solution.
Except from that I think XLRs are practical .

Yeah, XLRs are more in keeping with what I prefer (connectors which essentially provide a simple inline splice for the wires, seeing as I don't care for coaxial cables). My problem with XLRs is that they're so laughably large. At least for line level connections. They'd be less out of place as loudspeaker connectors.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.