CD63 Problem. Need Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Marantz CD63 crackles during play. Not constantly but every few minutes while playing a regular disc. The problem becomes more pronouced while playing CDRs.

The player but has been modified pretty heavily but this problem only recently cropped up. I changed to a new laser unit but the problem still persists. I'm not trained so I'm just taking stabs in the dark. I'm wondering whether some of the more experienced forumers can point me in the right direction. Symptoms are as follows:

1) Sharp but short crackle while playing a disc.
2) Intervals between crackling seems ramdom. Sometimes a few minutes ... somtimes a few seconds.
3) Problem exists with both analog & digital ouput. So I'm guessing the problem has nothing to do with the output stage.

Any ideas? Any help very much appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

There is a SAA chip but not sure whether its the SAA 7220. What does this chip do? Not sure on the warming up & coolling down bit as the player crackles from the onset of operation & continues even when warm.

It doesn't crackle when the case is tapped. I've already changed the laser ... so I think thats fine.

Does naybody know what the TDA1301T does ... it says servo. What does it actually do?

Thanks guys.

I've been trying hard to isolate the problem. Here a little more info. My troubled CD63 has big problems with CDRs ... it is constant & loud crackling all the way. However, I don't have this problem with another CD63 that I own.

Netlist:

The CD63 uses the SAA7345GP - Decoder & Filter. This chip is rather hard to find.

ergo:

I got some spare TDA1301T chips. I might want to try changing it out.

BTW guys how in the world do you desolder SMTs!

You can get both tda1301t and saa7345gp at sim lim tower, I successful replaced both chips in my cd63 and 67. How I did it by cutting all the pin with sharp cutter first and and use soldering tip to remove the balance of the pin at the pcb and u are ready to solder new chips in. U can change the tda1301t first. Most likely.

Goodluck

At basement 1. The shop that do modification of ld player to play vcd and the one that sell kits for surveilance camera and so on. I forgot the unit no. near the exit to the rear of SLT. That shop do sell speaker comp. too. Oh ya..when cutting of pins try not not to lift the cutter or else the pcb track might damage. Cut one pin at a time.

Go to local electronics shop and buy "solder wick". Might have some other name but it's basicly a stip of thin copper wires strangled together. With the help of this and some flux you can remove most of the solder from SMD chip pins. After that you take a fine tip soldering iron and a thin needle and just slowly and carefully heat and bend the legs open. It needs a lot of patience and care not to destroy the PCB tracks....

Good luck,
Ergo

Finally got around to repairing my CD63.
Tonitze was correct in stating that the TDA1301T was the likely culprit. Changed it out & the player is purring again.

Clipped off the pins of the TDA1301T with a small plier & removed the chip. Used wick & plenty of solder to remove the pins off the pcb. Soldering was the hardest as the connections were so small. I was not sure at times whether I got the legs soldered properly.

I used a small screwdriver & placed it between the pins & gave it a light twist ... if the legs moved = weren't soldered properly. I was supprised at the no. errors I made. Many legs seemed soldered perfectly but in fact the solder just gathered at the tip of the leg without attaching itself to the pcb.

Thanks to everyone for their input & tips ... much appreciated!

My CD63 is back !!!

My cd63 have the same problems, it won't read the disk,
so i change the lens using vam1202, it works.

But during play, the sound crackles, so i change the tda1301t too.

After some run-in, the player now plays perfectly.

Thank all forumers for the tips.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.