Maplins close-out on AP100Z0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Maplins Close out on AP100Z0

Just for info, Maplins are having an end of line deal on these great little drivers, just £4.98 each. Cracking value, and it may be the last chance you get to buy them with all the Audax nonsense...

I just bought two, and have two more on order if they can get then to the shop!

Yup ordered four now, along with a coupla caps and resistors for a filter circuit on my amp.

I wonder if this means we can expect maplins to offer cut prices on the other drive units one after the other till they are all sold out.

Also this should mean they will be looking for a new supplier of drive units, I hope they pick a good one cause they seemed to have the audax units priced quite nicely.

What plans have you got for these? (if you don't mind me asking) Would they be any use as solitary drivers for surround duties? Pity we only get cheap drivers when things start to go t*ts up!:cannotbe:
I need some ideas as to what to do with these little jokers as I've ordered 6, maybe some sattelites.......
Great spot pinkmouse

Cheers steve

Hmm, I noticed this driver, but you guys have probably bought them all now, heh.

-Yeh, what is with this trend of crap pc modding stuff? Maplins is so full of tack! The nice things they have, like equipment cases and those excellent ICW or LCR caps aren't stocked in any of the shops :(

Might order some up tomorrow, maybe. Has anyone modelled it in winisd or anything?

I've used this driver before anyway so know im not buying a mistake. I made a pair of speakers using the TM025F1 tweeter for the kitchen for me mum and dad. This was before the time I had LSPcad so the xovers were just really simple 1st order at about 4000hz or so nothing optimised either so they are far from perfect. But appart from that they have a wonderfully clear sound to them which suits the kitchen well. Im going to make either an MTM or TMM out of mine pairing with a Morel MDT30 pair ive had lying around for the better part of two years.

Just simming now a ported box of 8 litres with a port 4cm dia and 10.7 long gives and f3 of 70hz and f5 of 60hz and an f12 of 45hz. Not bad for a 4". This is with a fully stuffed box.

You can get 94dB out of it in this box at 100hz and 83dB at 50hz. This is maintaining xmax. Obviously nothing spectacular but you cant expect miracles out of a 4" with 2.7mm of xmax.

Sealed box with a Q of 0.707 gets you an f3 of 96hz and an f12 of 47hz, so really you get the same extension but the roll of starts earlier with a sealed box. This is in a box of 4.7 litres 100% fill. Roughly 80dB at 50hz and 91 at 100.

So you get a couple more dB with the ported box, I think ill make my sealed. Keeps things smaller and your not gonna get the option of farting ports.

OK I cannot get 50hz f3 in a 9l ported box whatever tuning frequnecy I choose. The best I can get is 55. I am using 100% fill and according to the LSPcad manual you need to set another parameter to something else and this causes the main difference in your results to mine. Unfill and the response is better for bass. But I would imagine worse for midrange.

Bottom line your not gonna get earth shattering bass out of it. Although 50hz is somewhat better then 90. id go with 50hz ported if the real world box would yeild this but Im not sure.

I just d/l winisd to try it out and it does indeed confirm steves results. However ISD i dont think can account for box stuffing, which doesnt alter much in the sealed box which is why our results were almost concordant but the sealed box is affected significantly when altering what happens when stuffing is added.

Im still going sealed though :D

Re: Re: Maplins Close out on AP100Z0

CeramicMan said:

What do you mean by that?

CM
They're stopping selling drivers for DIY use aren't they?

5th - thanks for keeping us updated on what you're doing, I look forward to hearing how you use them :)

Thanks for the WinISD numbers, I *would* look myself, but what with this laziness I'm suffering, in the pre-summer heat....
:hot:

does anybody recon this audax would be better than the visaton WS13E in my bargain basement 3 way active system. I've seen some positive reports about the visaton, it's only Euro16. The bass in my system will be the monacor sph-135c and the treble will be the audax TM025f1. any thoughts? assuming maplins are still stocking both by the time i get to ordering (asap)! sorry if i am threadjakking.
mark

OK I cannot get 50hz f3 in a 9l ported box whatever tuning frequnecy I choose. The best I can get is 55. I am using 100% fill...
Hmm, I've just jumped on the wagon too. With a single driver in a 10l ported enclosure Unibox gives me an f3 of 45Hz! Max input of 3W and driver unloads below f3. SPL is 87.5db at f3 and ~90db from 55Hz upward. Used 'walls covered' stuffing parameter.

Attachments

• untitled-1.gif
    untitled-1.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,838
So small and so cheap... I've ordered eight :D :D

My first DIY speakers use what I believe is the 8" version of this driver, so 4" at one fifth the cost...nice! The 8" has pretty crap bass, and needs a big box, but sounds pleasant enough, I expect a few of these working together will make nicer bass, as there will be more magnet per amount of cone being moved. And much less cone to flex per driver. Ok, I'lll shut up now, before I say something *really* stupid....

I'm thinking maybe 3 per speaker, all doing bass, but the bottom two rolled off from baffle width fr., for baffle step correction. That could sound nice and warm and smooth, I hope.

Infact if you wanted you could do this as a three way, MTM or TMM mid/tweeter bit. Then MM on the bottom for the bass.

This way the top MTM/TMM would have the benafit of less bass so less excursion, and thus better midrange. You could also make the box best for mids and not consider bass, fully stuffing it with some good absorbant material.

The one problem I would see from wiring a MTM on top and then using two bass units to cover the baffle step so u'd have an MTM.5 way, is overall impedance, it would be really low if everything is parallel wired.

If you wired the MTM in series and the .5 MM in series then you would end up with about 6ohm impedance which would be fine. It sounds to me like you would want to use all the mid/bass to do the bass range because that way they would shift more air. Dont really matter theres a whole number of things you could do with them.

Good input 5th,

You are right in thinking I'd want as many as possible working on the bass. I'm sort of thinking in terms of comparing these to my 6.5" drivers, and how loud they'll go in the bass, which is not staggeringly loud, but commendable. I think I'd need 6 per speaker to match my 2x6.5", so 3 or 4 would surely be reasonable... especially for a low-cost experiment speaker! And if I did go for 4 per speaker, it could still be a really petite cabinet, with a nice small footprint - easily sellable!

The impedance considerations did cross my mind, as did mtm.5!! We are thinking along the same lines, and I like the idea of having the midrange driver tailored more for good mids re. the stuffing. This is one other reason to mix sealed with ported I reckon - the sealed one would be the mid/bass, and could then be stuffed, whereas the ported would require no stuffing, or maybe just some nice carpet underlay on some walls...

I think with 4 drivers doing the bass the excursion would be quite small at normal listening levels, hopefully leaving the midrange nicely intact, and then at show-off levels the extra driver will help to pound the chest, lol, well, maaaaybe. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.