I2S cable DIY?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: I2S cable DIY? Coax or Hoax?

tomchaoda said:
Has anyone make his/her own DIY I2S cable before?
If not, any where I can find the spec and parts to do it myself?

Thanks,

Thomas

Hi Thomas I just bundled together three 50 Ohm pieces of coax between CDP and DAC. The type of cable Mark Levinson was using when he introduced the ML1-preamp with Lemo connectors.
:idea:

Re: Re: I2S cable DIY? Coax or Hoax?

Elso Kwak said:

Hi Thomas I just bundled together three 50 Ohm pieces of coax between CDP and DAC. The type of cable Mark Levinson was using when he introduced the ML1-preamp with Lemo connectors.
:idea:

Hello Elso, How long were those cables?

There is so much discussion about how long a run I2s can support. Under optimal conditions I understand 20 cm in an internal chassis is max.

Regards

Anthony

Re: Re: Re: I2S cable DIY? Coax or Hoax?

Coulomb said:

Hello Elso, How long were those cables?

There is so much discussion about how long a run I2s can support. Under optimal conditions I understand 20 cm in an internal chassis is max.

Regards

Anthony

Hi Anthony,
I used this scheme, which has more drive than just connecting the chips directly. Between CDP and DAC is about 70 cm.

Attachments

• i2s-direct-sm.gif
    i2s-direct-sm.gif
    22.2 KB · Views: 967
I thought about this recently, and thought of using differential line drivers to transmit the I2S signals, over a standard CAT5 network cable. While I doubt you'd get more than a few metres distance it'd be plenty for an interconnect... and no making up your own cables :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.