Scan-Speak FRD ZMA request

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
By the way, he mentioned SPL Tracer/Viewer as a way to do this. Looking quickly at the SPL Tracer website, it appears you can make an FRD file by this method. However, I don't know if you can make a ZMA file, though at first glance it seems as if the process would be similar.

SPL Tracer/Viewer is on the FRD Consortium website.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
You should be able to use Subwoofer Simulator, written by our own member here, F4ier, for that. It calculates the impedance phase from the Thiele-Small parameters.

It is listed both on F4ier's own website, and on the FRD Consortium page.
http://www.geocities.com/f4ier/speaker.htm

A lot of people like Unibox, but I never seem to be able to get anything out of it. Subwoofer simulaor, in this incarnation, might not allow you to model multiple woofers, but it gives you just about any curve you could possibly want-impedance pahse, cone excursion, passive radiator excursion, etc. etc. And you can add or subtract them to your chart so it doesn't get too confusing. And you can change the scale. And you can even change the colors to make it look snazzy.

Below is the impedance phase of a Scan Speak 21W8555-00 woofer from 10 Hz to 2,000 Hz-about as high as you would ever want to use it, I guess.

Since Subwoofer Simulator does not do free air, I put the Scan Speak inside a sealed box of 2.000 liters. It essentially is in a free air situation. You can alos simulate the curve for whatever specific box you put it in: sealed, ported or passive radiator.

Oh, yes, if you do this yourself, you can just click File and it writes FRD and ZMA files itself.

Attachments

• scan speak 21w8555-00 impedance phase.gif
    scan speak 21w8555-00 impedance phase.gif
    16.1 KB · Views: 539
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.