Half LabHorn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been looking all over the place for a new sub for my HT and everything that ive looked at has limitations, either it isnt very loud, needs lots of power (which i dont have) or it costs alot more than i can afford.
I have been brought (with skinnys encouragement) to the world of horns.
Id love a labhorn, but cannot afford to buy 2 drivers, i can hower afford(well save for) a single lab12.
how would i go about changig the design for use with one driver, is it as simple as cutting it in half and having a rather slimline labhorn, or must it be redesigned?
Or even easier has anyone done this before and if so a link would be great.

Cheers
Michael

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
michael said:
I have been looking all over the place for a new sub for my HT and everything that ive looked at has limitations, either it isnt very loud, needs lots of power (which i dont have) or it costs alot more than i can afford.
I have been brought (with skinnys encouragement) to the world of horns.
Id love a labhorn, but cannot afford to buy 2 drivers, i can hower afford(well save for) a single lab12.
how would i go about changig the design for use with one driver, is it as simple as cutting it in half and having a rather slimline labhorn, or must it be redesigned?
Or even easier has anyone done this before and if so a link would be great.

Cheers
Michael

I have seen a design on the forum, but can't find the thread with a simple search.

Another consideration is that the Lab12 is available in a 10" version now:
http://www.eminence.com/eminence/pages/products02/lab12/hl10a.htm

--
Brian

GM

Joined 2003
If you use one Labhorn driver, both the front/rear chamber volumes are halved and St is 0.707x the original. Fl/Fh/efficiency stays the same, but the compression ratio is doubled. Probably fine for most music, but won't go low enough with sufficient efficiency for movie special effects or large pipe organs unless coupled to a corner to continue the flare.

GM

chopping in half,bad idea.

Hi.
In my opinion either use the labhorn or use another design.
In my case i couldnt afford 2 drivers when 1 will do,so i redesigned it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(note that was an early horn before i knew of the lab12s immense size and wide magnet diameter.)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

if you want ULTRA lows like 20hz just use a shiva or tempest tuned low. if you want REALLY LOUD midbass - 30hz ,use a huge horn .

My horns are only 300L because i compromise the freq response and efficiency slightly so that they fit in the home.

In the end its always down to money,and i have to buy my 350w plate amp first! because having a basshorn with 500w potential , using a 20w amp on it is no fun,id prefer waiting and have the amp ready
:)

hey mike, so if i was to use your design there, te last one on the page, it would work well, whats the max SPL on it. not that it could possibly be lower than i want:D
Also i have 200w so i will have enough.
looking at those specs i could fit that in my room as either a coffe table or make a corner free and use it.
would i need any EQ to stomp those4db humps at 85hz and 130z?
and with those internal corners and bends would i need to use curves like in the other sketch.
Cheers Mike

Michael

The curves are only important for high freqs,which this woofer isnt meant to play.

200w is plenty, youl just about blow your brains out at 1metre, 125db :)

Since ive designed it ,i think if u want to build it, you can do so at your own risk, i plan on building it as SOON as i can afford the woofer!

none of those plans are finalised-just to give u an idea of the size and shape.

EDIT: those bumps are due to mouth reflections from it being too small...im filtering at 70hz so its no bother :)

Building basshorns that go HIGH too is just annoying,their hard enough as it is :)

Email me if u want.

Cheers!

EchiDna said:
http://www.geocities.com/loudspeakerguru/subindex_page4.html

about halfway down the page is a fully worked, single driver labhorn design...

GL!

Good pickup!
This is a very clever folding scheme by Jeff, and looks good. Too many folds for response above 80 to 100Hz, but you won't get this from the Lab12 driver anyway. Certainly a design to consider.

Cheers

just doooo it

I made a speaker just like this actually six of them. They rock. Were simpler to make then a Lab, and I am willing to bet they are not as good as a lab. But I love em.
I am not enough of a geek to test them and create graphs that show performance of my DIY PA system. But my plans are very similar to the two that are posted on this thread. These deliver a nice womp that you can feel, and I have only ever used them outdoors. I wish I could build more, but I don’t need em. My six work just fine for my application.

Attachments

• IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 101
  • MH2.JPG
    MH2.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 92
  • stats.JPG
    stats.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 85
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.