Aleph 4 PCB Bulk Purchase

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just come off a terrible (and expensive) experience with making my own PCBs so I've decided to bite the bullet and get them fabricated for me.......Basically the price is $50 for setup plus $50 per set of boards that will work for an entire Aleph 4 (I guess it would also work fine for aleph 2's and with adaptations probably many other alephs). I'd like to get about 5 of us together so we could get the purchase cost down to about $60 each.

Anyone interested?

fcel: yes I meant all the boards you need to build one aleph 4 or 2 aleph 2 monoblocks (excluding power supplies....).

However, I've been offered a seperate board now from another source and I'm just going to go ahead with that. Provided everything works out fine I won't be needing to make this purchase anymore.

I apologise for this however there's no reason if a few people seem interested not to bulk buy the boards for yourself anyway so good luck!

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,

Let's say if there are 5 of us who are still interested in the Aleph 2 boards, you'll help us to get it? In terms of who to contact etc ..... I see that Brian is still interested and me too.

And by the way, how much more would it cost to have the power supply board being made too? I would prefer to purchase all the necessary boards at the same time.

fcel, of course......I can give you some pointers to a couple of decent priced companies (specifically the one I planned to use) and any other help you need.......

As for the power supply boards, I didn't include them as I don't plan to use a board for the power supply and since everyone's power supply is different, the few components that could possibly go on a board anyway aren't really relevant. That's why it's not worth doing.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I don't feel that the power supply board is relevent either. It seems like it would be different depending on configuration.

This seems like a viable option if we can get 3 more people in on this. I don't have the money right now to organize this, as I just bought 125 IRFP240s, and am seeing them on my credit card bill now... not to mention my college bill. I would gladly pay $60 for a set of boards for the Aleph 2.

--
Brian
gte619j@prism.gatech.edu

Well, it seems like every one wants to build the Aleph 2, and I am no exception. If the PCBs work for the Aleph 2, I would also be interested in purcahing a board (or two). :)

I am also curious as to which schematic is being used and if I could posiibly take a look at it before my final decision. Thanks.

Joined 2002
Jduncan:

Can you post your design, so that others can use it to get boards made? Or you could e-mail it to me. I have the ability to read gerber files, or whatever format you have it in.

Has anyone else made Gerber Files for an Aleph amplifier, that would not mind posting them or e-mailing to me. I am interested in getting a bulk board purchase going.

--
Brian
gte619j@prism.gatech.edu

BrianGT: I was actually probably going to redraw the boards and send them in Gerber format. I since found another very cheap source for PCB's online which I can also send to you once I find the link, I'll get back to you on the couple of companies I would consider using now.

To everybody, I was offered a deal by another board member, macka, who I am in return doing a favor to. He has expressed that he would be interested in producing some more boards for other members here also at a reasonable price that would cover his materials, time, and shipping.

I'll let him post from here on, however I will also still get back to you with some of the best companies online to get them fabricated with.

Cheers,

Joe

Joined 2002
I am laying out the board now. It looks like if I use expresspcb, the price for just the main board comes out to:

$202 for 10, so $40.40 per person for 2 boards.
$327 for 20, so $32.70 per person for 2 boards.

Remember that this is just the main board.

That would get boards made and shipped out in 3 days.

I am looking for a cheaper place to get the boards made.

These boards are 2-layer, plate through holes, and no soldier mask or silkscreen.

If anyone else has another place in mind, then a place that offers single sided boards only would be cheaper.

I am going to speak to Prof. Leach on tuesday, and I will see where he gets his single sided boards made for the Leach Amp. He gets them pretty cheap and charges students $15 for two. They also have soldier mask, but no silk screening. I will see what he says.

I am thinking that it would be easiest to just get the main board done, then do point to point wiring for the rest. If I find a good deal through Prof. Leach, I will get the output boards done as well.

I will keep everyone posted. Assuming I go through with this, I can also ship out some matched IRFP240 units.

--
Brian
gte619j@prism.gatech.edu

Brian,

Output Board: I would definitely like to have the output board made too for a fee if that's not too much trouble.

Output transistor: Service manual says use IRF244, you indicated IRFP240. Are they pretty much the same? If yes, I would like to buy sufficient matched pairs from you for a pair of Aleph 2.

Thanks for all your hard work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.