IR-Filter necessary for metal-halide setup?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I heard you need to have an IR filter if you have a metal halide setup.

I'm gonna buy a Metal Halide 150W T-type with reflector and condensor. The LCD will be cooled by fans.

Do i absolutely need the IR filter?

I thought metal halides where quite cool and that the fans and condensor would stop enough heat.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
uv deteriates the lcd's colour layer, with out a uv stop or any uv filter your lcd over time will become dark and deteriate in colour, manny just use glass but its not good enough, u need to use proper uv filters to cut the right grades of uv out, this is uv A, uvB and uvC, uv C does the most damage as in discolourising pigments in paint and also food not to mention its cancer causing, manny dont use them, people think that glass is just good enough, glass will only cut a small amount back and infact glass can even magnify it.

Trev

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
cause all this fancy IR/UV filter so expensive - the only way u can and should use them - introducing condenser lens between bulb & 1st fresnel making light beam small anough to go through 2-3cm^2 ir/uv filters?

Heya bud they normally go in our setups before the condenser depending on what u use as a light source somtimes after the condenser, they are 2-3 inches square not cm lol most only sell them as big as 2 inches square as its all u need to cover the area where the light goes through the condenser.

Trev

Has anybody used automotive window tint to control the heat problem?
Automotive tint is 99% UV blockage and filter around 30% IR. Use only pros tint(HP type) because in-store tint film really sucks.
I had bought some 50% tint and hold it up to my 400W MH bulb. The tint did filtered the heat but also cut off some lumens.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
Blue

heya Blue, i have some filters here, i have ir and uv filters, the uv filters are second hand but sill work great, they are a greenish colour and are out of ohp's made by 3m from what ive been told, uv filters will stop your lcd from discolourising, with out a uv filter give it 12months of medium use and the lcd will not have the same colouring as it used to have when it was new, the uv in the light discoulourises the pigments in the lcds colour filter and its a well know problem now days with even the cheaper pro projectors that dont utilise this type of filter, the metal halide bulb that im using has a uv stop built into it so i dont need to use a uv filter, the ir filter will stop heat, the heat that is transmitted in the light is in the far ir band, it is impossible to stop all of the heat, the ir filter i have here stops roughly 1/2 - 2/3 of the heat on a 150w metal halide bulb, u dont have to use it but its best to use it to help the cooling process of the lcd, i dont have any fans on my lcd at all, i dont have a heat issue as my bulb isnt that powerful but with a ir filter in place the lcd runs alot cooler, the size of the filter only needs to be the size of the condenser, normally i just put a peice if ir or uv filter under the condenser and thats it. Im actually not in aust at the moment im in spain and will be here for a few months yet but if your interested in purchasing some from me drop me an email and ill sort u out.

Trev

I'm using the lexan from home depot. One side is UV treated and is 99% UV resistant. It’s meant to be used in windows for your home. When you buy it... one side has print on it the other is green or a solid color. Make sure you mount it with the solid color FACING your light chamber. Or it wont block UV.

Lexan is the strongest plastic you'll find and heat resistant up to 800 degrees! It's also whats used to make explosive chambers and a thick enough piece is just about bulletproof.

The lexan in my design is meant to block UV... I use heat absorbing glass for IR (heat).

www.diybuildergroup.com
soon!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
I believe acrylic would be more durable and heat resistant thatn plexi or lexan. It's pretty hard stuff...

Its all acrylic, it just depends on what grade u buy, and yess u can get bullet proof plexi if u want to pay for it lol, for my frensels i just bought half a sheet of very high optical grade plexi to wedge the frensels, its uv protected and is way clearer then glass but at 200euro's for half a sheet its not somthing thats realy that cheap but its does have an extreme minimal loss of light with no discoulourisation compared to glass.

Trev

I wasn't too sure, just remember reading aon a case mod site that cast acrylic was the material of choice for clear cases, because it is very rigid, and cuts easily with a table saw, or even a jig saw(with a fine tooth blade).
I'm definitely no plastics expert though.

Jack of all trades, master of none...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.