My Kwack clock implementation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all I want to thank Elso for sharing his project.

Of course my implementation doesn't claim to be state of the art, since it's made on veroboard without a great experience on HF layout, but I thought it could be nice to share my building experience and to receive a feedback from who has built it (and from Elso, of course!).

I borrowed (again ;) ) a digicam and took a few shots.

Pic 1: the assembly

Attachments

• ridimensiona dikwak clock.jpg
    ridimensiona dikwak clock.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,949
to bump or not to bump...

While taking further measurements to get rid of this bump I noticed the extreme sensitivity of the node connected to the source to capacitive loading to ground... I should have realized that before (the cap to gnd is only 39 pF !) but all became clear whan I left out the cap and connected my oscilloscope probe (10x)... I got a nearly perfect sinewave!
Then connected the same probe to the output and.. nothing! The oscillator had stopped working...

Conclusion: the bump is probably due to the capacitance of the probe:smash:

Cheers

Andrea / who enjoys learning from building circuits:D

Kwak-clock

Hello Andrea,
You got decent squarewaves indicating a working clock. The "bumps" you mentioned are not important at all.
One of my first faults was connecting a 1x probe to a CMOS oscillator as it stopped working immediately. Yes ordinary probes have capacitance too.
I am using other kind of parts but I have seen pictures of the KC with all kinds of parts. Here is another one (not by me):cool:

Attachments

• hk-clcok2-sm.jpg
    hk-clcok2-sm.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,676
Hi,
I'm just finishing mine on vero board ,too.Had put it together week ago but waited for J309 to arrive (thanks Elso for J309,i just recived it a couple of hours ago).

I'm just not qiute sure how the pin-out of J309 is and how to put it into circuit.

I assume drain goes to + supply,source to crystal and gate to AD8651 and to ground trought 1Kohm resistor.

Is it correct??

Bartek

Pinout

zygibajt said:
Hi,
I'm just finishing mine on vero board ,too.Had put it together week ago but waited for J309 to arrive (thanks Elso for J309,i just recived it a couple of hours ago).

I'm just not qiute sure how the pin-out of J309 is and how to put it into circuit.

I assume drain goes to + supply,source to crystal and gate to AD8651 and to ground trought 1Kohm resistor.

Is it correct??

Bartek

Hello Bartek,
See this site for pinouts by Yeo :http://www.diyparadise.com/clock.html
It is Drain to supply, Source to 1k and Gate to crystal.:cool:

Re: Kwak-clock

Elso Kwak said:
Hello Andrea,
You got decent squarewaves indicating a working clock. The "bumps" you mentioned are not important at all.
One of my first faults was connecting a 1x probe to a CMOS oscillator as it stopped working immediately. Yes ordinary probes have capacitance too.
I am using other kind of parts but I have seen pictures of the KC with all kinds of parts. Here is another one (not by me):cool:

Hello Elso,
do you think that a separate power supply is worthwhile or i can sticjk with the one of the CDP?

Cheers

Andrea

I Just wondering..

HI. Elso Kwak

I wanna make your KWAK-CLOCK-7
But I wanna use different PSU
I think high quality SHUNT REGULATOR will be fine

So I have to design SHUNT REG for KC7
But I dunno how much current needed for Oscillation(J309 and etc..) section. For AD8561(AD8611) section I can refer to Datasheet :confused:

Would you tell me how much current needed at oscillation section(J309) ;)

Sorry for poor English
Merry Christmas !!

Hello,

thanks to Elso for sharing his knowledge.

I am looking around for the components, j309 seems to be difficult to buy. J310 is no problem here, so can I use this without
any problems?

Can anyone please name the thread where Elso postet the schematic for Elso Kwak 7, I downloaded the schematic, but missed to save the url. I wouzld like to link it at my website.

Thanks to all

Christian.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.