• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Real electronics/audio shops

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Most of us are forced to buy stuff over the Internet or mail order. While that works if you know what you're buying, it's not so good if you need a wodgit that's about so big, with five pins, and that fastens using three screws, oh, and do you have it in PTFE? Sometimes, you really need to be there, and to be able to wave your arms.

The intention of this thread is for people to give an honourable mention to shops they have used and liked, but not to "plug" their own commercial interests!

Recently, I discovered an Aladdin's cave of an electronics shop in Hong Kong. It reminded me of an electronics shop I used to visit in 1975, except that there are made-up PCBs for line stages (valve), shunt HT regulators (also valve), cases, valve audio books and all sorts. Mr Chan (centre) is a gentleman, and speaks excellent English.

Shop details:

Hong Kong Bush
21-23 Man Yee Lane
Central
Hong Kong

Tel: 2525 3227

Attachments

• mr chan 1c.jpg
    mr chan 1c.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 3,021
A good thread. Let's keep it alive.

If you're visiting central Florida, you may want to stop by Skycraft in Orlando, and Astro Too in Melbourne. Both are large, well-established electronic surplus houses. You can browse the aisles at either place for hours looking for anything from discrete parts to test equipment. You'll have more fun than a day at Disney. In past years when I had more time, I nearly tithed at these places.

Skycraft link Skycraft is very well organized, with parts meticulously binned and priced. They have a large and helpful staff. On Saturdays this place is packed. THE place for bulk wire of any kind.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Astro Too link Astro has a huge inventory of odds and ends. Items are not well marked and pricing is whatever you agree to at the counter (they are very fair). But there are interesting treasures to be found by rummaging around in dark corners. For example, just yesterday I visited Astro Too looking for a paper cone driver to use as an outboard ham radio speaker. I happened upon a pair of highly-sensitive Coral 8F-60 full-range drivers, new in their boxes. I got them for less than the price of lunch. You never know what you might find.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Isaacc7, I will be visiting Beijing in a few days time and would be interested in finding out the location of the electronics store you visited. I am interested in power and output transformers, chassis and tubes.

Was there anything in particular that you saw that was "good value".

Cheers,

Chris

chrish said:
Isaacc7, I will be visiting Beijing in a few days time and would be interested in finding out the location of the electronics store you visited. I am interested in power and output transformers, chassis and tubes.

Was there anything in particular that you saw that was "good value".

Cheers,

Chris

Hmm, hope I've caught you in time, I've found the page from my blog here.
I was only looking for tubes, so I didn't notice transformers and whatnot. These markets weren't aimed at tubes in particular, but towards electronics in general. There were some tubes being sold there, but there were many many more electronic parts. Have fun!

Isaac

More on Hong Kong Bush

Here is additional phone, FAX, and address information for the Bush tube store in Hong Kong:

Hong Kong Bush (���`›�Ž÷–³�ü“d�s)
M/F., 21-23 Man Yee Lane, Central, Hong Kong
���` ’†ŠÂ äÝ‹X—¢ 21-23åj Štžê
Tel: (852) 2525-3227 Fax: (852) 2845-0357

It's been years since I lived in Silicon Valley, but when I was there, 1997 to 2001, Alltronics, Halted, and hallfco(sp) were good places to get tube related stuff. Halfco, up north, was it Palo-Alto? (now that I think of it, that's not even close to their real name, I just can't remember it right) was kicked out of thir leased building back in around 1999 (landlord got greedy, and asked too much for a new lease). Think the same thing happened to Alltronics. Halted, right at Central expressway and Lawrence, may still exist.

Next time, be mindful of the wire dangling in front of your face...

And 40+ years ago NYC had Canal Street.

Haltek was in Mountain View, and the lease problem closed them down for good. Halted got some of their stock. They're still open in the sae location. Alltronics has relocated to Morgan Hill, and is pretty much internet-only. Weird Stuff in Sunnyvale is worth a prowl once in a while for their back room items - their front room is dedicated almost entirely to computer stuff. Anchor is still around, and is very good for bits and bobs and odds and ends like pots, connectors, and the like that end up very shopworn and missing nuts at Halted..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.