• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Fun little P-P input stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got slightly distracted while working on my DD ESL amp, and have been playing around with this input stage; it's a variant of a design I've been using in amps for the past 20 years or so. Main difference is the incorporation of an input transformer (there actually is no center tap on the transformer, that's a mistake on my drawing). In any case, it's good for a gain of about 20, will swing about 150V p-p, and has an f3 of about 80kHz. The balance is better than I have the capability to measure when the input resistors are well-matched.

Matching of the 2N5462s is a good idea; I used a simple test jig to match Id with a 1K resistor between source and ground. With FETs thus matched plugged into the circuit, I got plate voltages within 5 volts of one another.

Variations: for feedback, one can add 100 ohm resistors in series with each input resistor to the ground point, then run symmetrical feedback resistors from the 16 and 0 ohm taps of the output transformer secondary, grounding the 4 ohm tap. And you can get more gain and a bit more swing by bypassing the 1K cathode resistors.

This would make a dandy input stage for an ST-70.

Attachments

• transformer phasesplitter.gif
    transformer phasesplitter.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 5,422
BTW, at the expense of esthetic symmetry and galvanic isolation, you can get rid of the transformer, take the input to one of the FET gates, and etiher ground the other one or use it as a feedback point.

And to get enough gain for feedback, you can also direct couple this stage to a 5692-based long tail diff amp- that's pretty much the circuit I've been using in most of my push-pull amps over the years.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Dumb question:

If we were to separate the drains of the FETs and lose the input trannie would the FET then operate as buffers for the triodes on top?

I assume it'll still operate in balanced mode just the same?

Mind you, all I know about FET is Drain = Plate, Source = Cathode
and Gate = Grid. And not even too sure about that either.

Cheers,;)

The trannie is optional- what it does is improve common-mode noise rejection, galvanic isolation, and balance. As I mentioned, the trasformer is something new for me; previously, my circuits used one gate for an input and grounded the other- or used it as a feedback point. Doing it that way, the imbalance depends on mu (more mu, more balance). And, of course, you can use both the gates for inputs when driving with a balanced source.

I'm not sure what you're thinking about doing with the drains- feeding each from separate supply rails? If so, that's not necessary, and in fact, a little supply impedance isn't a bad thing there.

Hi,

SY’s circuit is derived from the good-old “Cross Coupled Phase Splitter” IMHO as shown in the attached circuit. It has the advantage that it can be driven balanced as well as single ended.

The variation with Fets in the cathode of SY’s circuit will drive the tubes essentially with a current. So I don’t see the advantage of cross coupling the tubes on top of the Fets. A simple triode cascode will do the trick as well IMHO.

Can you explain somewhat more about your thoughts to come to your circuit SY?

Cheers ;)

Attachments

• cross_coupled.gif
    cross_coupled.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 2,243
Sure. It's exactly a cross-coupled circuit. The twist is, as you observe, that instead of driving with a cathode follower, I'm driving with a source follower, direct coupled.

By cross-coupling the tubes in this manner, as with the classic cross-coupled circuit, you can remove imbalances in the drive. The FET source followers appear as degenerative elements, with curvature opposite that of the tubes -> distortion reduction. And with just a couple of small caps, you can pop the HF response up another octave. If you bypass the cathode resistors, the gain in my circuit will be higher, too- this is an option not available in the all-tube (or tube and n-FET) circuit. Another practical issue I've had with all-tube cross-coupled circuits is that you limit the swing across the second tube because of the need to properly bias up the cathode follower to properly drive it (the classic circuit as you've drawn it has VERY limited swing because of that first stage; normally, the CF is biased up to a higher voltage).

Indeed, you can use triodes in cascode as a diff amp and get excellent performance. That circuit goes back to Hedges (at least), and is the basis for a lot of designs by Curcio and Sonic Frontiers. But the balance is better in my circuit, and there's one less tube to worry about. And because it's push-pull from front to back, it's easy to incorporate symmetrical feedback and the little HF-extending caps.

Thank you SY for the explanation.

Don’t think the curvature of the fets will compensate the curvature of the tubes. For one leg it is subtracted but for the other leg it will be added. For curvature compensating the curvatures need to match very closely to be effective. But it is not necessary at all: It is a property of the cross-coupled phase splitter that distortion is cancelled. Let’s assume that the tubes have ideal and equal quadratic transfer curves. Then we have at the two anodes the difference of two quadratic functions. Bingo: The difference of two equal quadratic transfer functions is a LINEAR transfer function. So there is no need to compensate the tubes. This is quite different with a long-tailed-pair, which gives NOT the difference of two quadratic transfer functions.

But with the fets in your configuration it is anyway ok: The quadratic transfer function of the two fets is compensated by each other in your configuration. But the fets are not compensating the tubes IMHO.

I am working on a 2 x KT88 amp for 40 watts out and planning to use the new ECC99 hooked up as a cross coupled splitter and considering driving the splitter with a pair of small signal PMOS fets.

Was first thinking of driving it with a pair of NMOS fets to replace the cathode followers, but your solution witch P-fets is much more elegant. Thanks for the hint :)

Cheers ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.