Small speaker based on TB 3" bamboo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been experimenting with small speakers lately. I built a couple of different configuration, coax, 2 way and single full range. This is the best sounding of the bunch. As a matter of fact I am quite surprised at its performance.

The driver used is the Tang Band W3-1364SA 3" Bamboo Cone. It it encased in a heart oak cylinder (4" diameter x 1" height), and there is a dispersion cone made of oak as well. The resonance chamber is 4" x 30" PVC, dampened by a 1/2" layer of ceiling insulation. Internal wire is pure silver.

I know a lot of folks go for the 4" version of this driver, but if you let it burn in, it does wonders for you.

Well here it is. Too bad you can't hear it..

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,264
And finally in the listening position. I am using a single ended amp to drive these. Be aware that they are not very sensitive. I would rate them at around 86~87 db. But the sound is beautiful, quite lush to my surprise. The bass extends to 70ish. The highs, although not quite 20k, are very clear. All in all for the size, pretty nice..

Attachments

• s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,138
DocLorren said:
JAMH,

Nice work. I never heard upward facing drivers with dispersion cones. How do they perform directional wise? Do these have sweet spots?
Can you enjoy them regardless of position?

They radiate in all directions so the staging is quite good, and independent of the listening position. You can tune the shape of the dispersion cone to narrow, or wide. I personally like the sound in a large area so the cones' profile is less severe.

Re: worry about up-facing drivers, the cone do a good job protecting them.

planet10 said:
Those aree nice, but i worry a bit about facing a driver with an open voice coil upwards,

dave

Could you expound on this concern, I'm considering some of these for dash speakers in a car, facing up towards the windshield but with grilles. Isn't the voice coil on the backside/bottom of this and any driver?

My dash mounting would be an OB I suppose, I will seal the top of the dash from the bottom. Is there any concern with using these this way or is an enclosure necessary? I'll probably HP with a single cap for around 400hz or so.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
901Fixer said:
Could you expound on this concern, I'm considering some of these for dash speakers in a car, facing up towards the windshield but with grilles.

Any driver with a phase plug has the voice coil directly exposed to the ourtside world. Facing one face up you have the cone funnelling any dirt, dust or debry right into the voice coil gap. It will kill the driver eventually.

dave

Excuse me, how did you decide the shape of the deflector cone?
I'm interesting in build something like that for a fe103e but I can't modelling it (i.e. how long has to be the tube, giving the loudspeaker parameter, to have a certain frequency response? How wide?). It would be interesting to describe it with physic and not only with pictures (diy engineering? :) )

I'd like to hear these speakers. They look really cool. My fav TBs are the bamboo drivers - i have the 4" but prefer them to the 3" titanium ones that also sound really nice too. It's a matter of taste i guess. My wife thinks the bamboos sound slightly nasal but i just don't hear it?

A lot of people who've heard my projects think the TB bamboos are the best overall... but i dont think so. i think they are very good but lack a little life compared to the 8" TBs and the 6.5" fostex i have.

I'd really like to compare the 4" TBs to the Jordan 92 bc they are similar in size.
Godzilla

I also enjoyed the 4" bamboo, that 6khz resonance doesn't bother my ears.
But I have not heard many full range drivers.

But a 4" full range has less dispersion, so highs are a bit lacking 12' away in a room, or it sounds like the sound is coming from a flashlight when used singularly.

From 1-5khz (sound coming from the sides of the driver) a 4" should have a little less, but a 4" cone has almost double the cone area as the 3".

I liked my dipoles 5'-6' from the front wall. That way the front wall reflection worked for me well (10mS delay versus 3-4mS).

But nice build you have there.

Norman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.