• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Return Of Blackburn Mullards?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If this is actually true,

We may be entering another new era of quality Valves

http://www.techtubevalves.com/index.php

The New ECC83 Data and Picture

It looks freaky!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Blackburn MicroTech Solutions (BMS) has been formed from the former Philips Components organisation that itself started life as the Mullard Radio Valve Company Limited in 1938.

BMS is located on the original Mullard Valve site at Blackburn, England. Since the death of the valve for popular use following the invention of the transistor the former Mullard site has continued to develop and manufacture key components for the cathode ray tube industry. One such key component being the thermionic cathode.

With the background knowledge of valve manufacturing and cathode development, the Blackburn factory is once again able to be at the leading edge of valve development. 2008 sees the launch of the first real valve development since its initial launch back in the 1920's.

athos56 said:
My two questions, how do they sound, and how much do they cost :)

I am fairly sure we will see reports popping up soon if they display actual functioning versions at the show.

Their first public showing will be at the London Sound and Vision Show 19th – 21st September, Park Inn Hotel, Heathrow.

That things kinda weird and cool looking at the same time.

My thoughts exactly.

I am surprised at the lack of mica supports, Maybe those beefy contacts will not rattle? Less glass contact = less microphonic problems?
Eh who knows, But if it works 10 years as stated, and it sounds good, it will be worth buying even at $75.00.

Question, what do you do with a CRT production line now that the computer and TV display world has gone flat (literally)? Answer, you find a creative outlet for your "electron guns".

Wonder what it looks like when lit up? Can't wait to see a planar 300b

Look inside an old computer monitor or TV. I don't think that it is possible to build a CRT gun that could handle 60+ mA. The average cathode current in a 25 inch color TV is about 1/2 mA per cathode. There are 3 cathodes in a color TV. "Plate" (shadow mask) voltage is typically 25 to 27 KV!

The "guns" shown here look tiny by TV standards.

If these are realistically priced, I will be "testing" one.

Trout said:
If this is actually true,

We may be entering another new era of quality Valves

http://www.techtubevalves.com/index.php

The New ECC83 Data and Picture

It looks freaky!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The new tubes use much different construction and materials than the old Mullard stuff. Look at the difference in interelectrode capacitance for just one example.

It looks to me like the only thing they have in common with the old days is the location of the plant.

The tubes will likely have to stand or fall on their own merit. The odds of them sounding just like the Mullards of the past are long indeed. And since volume is the key to low pricing, I doubt you'll see these at the kind of prices where you find other current production stuff.

hmm

They have a sales email, maybe they'll release some samples to the DIY community, it would be the fastest way to secure some early market research and generate sales if they turn out to sound good. I'm going to give them a try.

Email sent, we'll see what they say...

Re: hmm

athos56 said:
They have a sales email, maybe they'll release some samples to the DIY community, it would be the fastest way to secure some early market research and generate sales if they turn out to sound good. I'm going to give them a try.

Email sent, we'll see what they say...

Great Idea!!

Is that the cathode lead tied to the top?

I only see the Getter support, but who knows for sure, it looks funky, but its growing on me.

From the Datasheet linked above:

"Due to the small surface area of the
TechTubeTM valve and the micron cathode and
anode to grid distances, the capacitance of the
TechTubeTM valve is dramatically reduced from
normal.

Cg/k 0.4pF ca. 25% of normal values
Cg/a 0.9pF ca. 50% of normal values"

Hmmm... micron distances?

Than is that the anode/grid gap at about the middle of the pic below?

With the anode above and the grid below.

Scott

Attachments

• blackburn_e813cc-gapb.jpg
    blackburn_e813cc-gapb.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,652
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Looks like a complicated thing to assemble, I can't imagine it will be all that inexpensive unless of course most of the assembly work is done by machines.. To be competitive I will *groundlessly speculate* that it needs to wholesale somewhere in the $3 - $4 range in 1K quantity, a hard target to match. (Unless of course it is absolutely spectacular in performance and life.)

Should have a lot less miller capacitance than the 12AX7A/ECC83 based on the low static interelectrode capacitances.

I hope they can succeed in the market place..

Anyone going to London Sound & Vision show later this month? Perhaps you can report back on these new tubes...

The design looks exotic enough and it certainly looks as if some engineering went into this versus dissecting an old tube. I'm looking forward to trying out a pair of their ECC83s and I'm not about to bash anyone making a new tube these days. I'm curious how they measure their lifespan - average daily usage. Even if the price is high, the longevity factor would certainly help.

Though honestly I can't imagine the price being low enough for the average guitar player / cheapskate hi-fi tube roller - perhaps it is geared towards the higher-end market like the VAIC 300B was/is? I guess we can only wait and see. I'm hoping for something good.

I've also sent them email looking for a couple pairs, see what happens. As for lifespan, the tube types they're making usually had long life in most gear from the 50's and such... consider how many people are still paying big $$ for used Telefunken 12AX7s from an old Dyna PAS. I have checked out hundreds of old used Mullard, Telefunken, RCA, GE, etc. in 12AX7, 12AU7 and others from old Dyna, McIntosh and other pieces of gear and generally they're still good and meet specs.

Regards, KM

Received a reply from them today:

Thank you for your interest in the TechTube valve.

Samples will be available for purchase when we launch the sales part of the
web site. Our expected sales launch will be October. Pricing, ordering and
other such things will be on the WEB site as we are not going through
dealers or distribution in the initial start up phase.

For further information, the WEB site will have a news and forum starting
soon so please keep an eye on things and give us your feed back.

With kind regards,
Andy Blades
Sales and Marketing Manager

Regards, KM

kmaier said:
Received a reply from them today:

Thank you for your interest in the TechTube valve.

Samples will be available for purchase when we launch the sales part of the
web site. Our expected sales launch will be October. Pricing, ordering and
other such things will be on the WEB site as we are not going through
dealers or distribution in the initial start up phase.

For further information, the WEB site will have a news and forum starting
soon so please keep an eye on things and give us your feed back.

With kind regards,
Andy Blades
Sales and Marketing Manager

Regards, KM

I got the same reply. So for US potential purchasers this means the tubes will likely be pricey. If you want a few to try you have to get them from the UK, and if you have any issues you'll likely have to return them to the UK. There won't be anyone on this side of the pond to deal with those issues or to bring the tube in in quantity. No competition = high price.

I'm not sure that's the best approach, but that's just my opinion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.