• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a newbie in Tube Amp building and after some research (mainly here) I decided that I would try to build the Tubelab SE.

I have read through all of the excellent material on George's site, but I have not been able to find any information on how to wire the transformers, and after writing to George with no result, I thought there might be someone on this Forum, that could help me out ?

I have placed my questions and some info on which tansformers and such that I want to use on this site snell.dk - but my basic questions are around what wires goes where (I use Hammond 370HX and Transcendar TT-010-OT's) and what some of the markings on the board are.

www.snell.dk

Hope you can help me, since I really want to get started :xeye:

Chears !

Sorry I didn't get to your email yet. I had another surgery (the 4th) to remove a lump from my face. The others have were cancer. I have been a little distracted lately.

The wiring diagram for the Tubelab SE was lost to a computer crash about two years ago. You are actually the first to ask for it since then. Most power transformers use the same color code, including the Hammond 370HX. It does get hooked up like the photo, but some wires are not used.

The transformer wiring goes like this:

T1-1 gets the red - yel wire.

T1-2 and T1-3 get yellow wires, it does not matter which. The yel - blk wire is not connected to the board. It must not contact anything, tape it up.

T1-4 and T1-5 get red wires, again it does not matter which.

T1-6 gets the grn - yel wire.

T1-7 and T1-8 get green wires.

The grey wire on the transformer should be connected to the ground terminal on the power connector.

The vio, blk/yel, orn, and yel/blk wires on the secondary are not used and should be insulated.

M5, M6, M7,M8, M9 and M10 are the mounting holes for the heat sinks. The heat sinks specified in the parts lists have solder tabs that are soldered into these holes for mechanical support.

A small jumper wire (left over resistor lead) should be placed in the BPLUS and DRV_B+ holes to connect them together. This is in the instructions on the final assembly page.

The V-IN, F-JP, F-4V and F-6V connections should NOT be connected to anything in a normal amplifier build. These are for connection to an external power supply when using the board for some non standard applications.

The output transformers:

Right channel blue wire goes to T2-2, Orange wire to T2-1. The black and green wires go to the speaker connectors. There MUST be a wire from the black speaker terminal to the ground terminal of the power connector.

Left channel blue wire goes to T3-2, Orange wire to T3-1. The black and green wires go to the speaker connectors. There MUST be a wire from the black speaker terminal to the ground terminal of the power connector.

The Tubelab SE was never intended to be an entry level amplifier. The existing instructions do assume some knowledge and experience. Please read and understand the grounding wiring for the Simple SE board:

http://www.tubelab.com/SimpleSE_wiring.htm

See the GROUNDING section and use the first wiring diagram in the GROUNDING section. The light green wires show the necessary ground connections. These are NECESSARY to make the amplifier safe in the event of a transformer failure.

Thank you so much George for a thourough answer, and I am sorry to hear about your misfortune, I wish you the best of health !. I think that from your answer I can now finish the amp wiring and get it to play some lovely tunes..

I'l order a Simple SE (you got me curious) and try that out (good thing I ordered two chassis and all)

thanks !!

I'l order a Simple SE (you got me curious)

If you are going to order a Simple SE , you might want to build it first. The board is about half as dense so the soldering is easier. It is pretty much build it, plug it in, and listen.

NOTE:

Sherri and I must be out of town from July 30 through about August 17 to assist her mother with cancer related complications (I am really getting tired of that word). No PC boards will be shipped during that time period. My last post office trip will be on July 29.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.