• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for Melos triode 200+ schematics

Melos tirode 200+ schematics looking for

Hello
I own a Melos triode 200 plus stero and I have problemas with one output (noises and distorsions) and when the problems began the powamp produce a terrible burning smell. It seems a transistor burning smell.
I'm looking for the schematics, but "Melos audio restoration" is closed, Melos audio is closed too.
Please somebody have the schematics?
Thankyou very much in advance
Roberto

This is the amp we are talking about

Attachments

• pc060506.jpg
    pc060506.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 745
If the ouptup problem born from that, and anyway, the schematic would be very useful to understand what is happening and how this capacitors or the oil patches can be connected with the transistor burning smell.

Attachments

• pc060513.jpg
    pc060513.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 600
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
zigo3 said:
And this is the back opened with the pcb

On the front left side there appear to be two capacitors with bulging tops which might indicate that they are failing and about to vent. The metal tops underneath the plastic insulating disks should be completely flat if they are not failing. Replace with higher voltage/ higher temperature parts if this is the case.

Unfortunately I do not have a schematic for any Melos products.

On the schematic front you may end up having to trace this thing out yourself unless some good person has the schematic. Even though Melos is gone the original schematic may still be copyright and probably should not be posted here without attempting to get permission first.

Thankyou very much Kevin. I will try removing those capacitors, even if they seem "born" in this way.

I can understand that there can be a copyright on the schematics, but what can I think about a society who don't support in no way his clients? The only official laboratory was in USA (think; ship a 90lbs powamp from europe to USA and return only to repair it...) and now is more that one year that it is closed.
I think that if exist a copyright law would must exist a law who impose to publish the schematics if there are no way to repair a product by the owners of the schematics.
By the way I would be happy to pay for them: it would be absolutely cheaper that give the amp to an unauthorized lab and ask "do what you can"...

thanks for your help.
rob

<On the front left side there appear to be two capacitors with bulging tops which might indicate that they are failing and about to vent.>

You have excellent eyes!

Roberto, electrolytics smell bad when they are on the verge of venting. The two caps could well be the offenders. Hope you have verified this and the amp is back in operation by now. I am sure you'd check out other caps as well.

Good luck

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
zigo3 said:

Thankyou very much Kevin. I will try removing those capacitors, even if they seem "born" in this way.

I can understand that there can be a copyright on the schematics, but what can I think about a society who don't support in no way his clients? The only official laboratory was in USA (think; ship a 90lbs powamp from europe to USA and return only to repair it...) and now is more that one year that it is closed.
I think that if exist a copyright law would must exist a law who impose to publish the schematics if there are no way to repair a product by the owners of the schematics.
By the way I would be happy to pay for them: it would be absolutely cheaper that give the amp to an unauthorized lab and ask "do what you can"...

thanks for your help.
rob

Hi Rob,
I totally agree, what I meant that they should probably not be published on the forum - if someone has them and can email them to you there should be no issue. May not be an issue anyway if no one cares to enforce the copyright..

One of the original Melos designers had started up a site at http://www.melosinnovations.com/ a few months back, and was promising support/upgrades/etc. The site does not seem to be live today, but maybe it will show back up?

Alternatively, do a "who is" search for the above mentioned site at Network Solutions, and you might glean enough contact info to get in touch with them.

Edit: It looks like the domain has lapsed, so perhaps the herculean task of servicing amps with a reputation for failure was just too much :)

In this moment we are trying to understand what transistors are the one marked in the follow pic, because Melos Audio deleted all the specifics on them.
There are 2 in the circles marked 1 and 2, and 1 in the circles marked 3,4,5,6,7,8.

Thanks to everybody help us.

Attachments

• pc060508b2.jpg
    pc060508b2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 454
Hi Roberto!

I see this is an old post, but almost 10 years later here am I with a similar problem, just changing that I live in Brazil and it's simply impossible to ship my amp to USA just for repair... For me it's also crazy that no option for users not in US (I'm wondering if even in US this will be affordable...). Do you succeed to obtain this schematic? Someone else can email it to me? In my case one of the Fets sitting in the middle of the board blown up, certainly a short component...