KA30se "KRYPTON" SE class A amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is the finall version of the amplifier I`ve been working on lately. It is a class A amplifier single ended with impemented "aleph ccs".

30W on 4Ohm load
Open loop distortion @ 1W/4Ohm = 0.03
Open loop bandwidth 48KHz (-3dB)
CL distortion @ 95% power = 0.08%
CL bandwidth 480KHz

Attachments

• ka30se.gif
    ka30se.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 2,388
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Very nice looking circuit. I would expect that simply
trimming C9 and the Gate/Base stopper values
plus potentially capacitance around Q3 (CE or CB)
would cover the whole subject of compensation.

Easiest to adjust against a square wave into the loads
of interest.

:cool:

Thanks mr.Pass I`ll try it.

BTW you , mr.John Curl any many others are proposing low feedback design...

I tried to remove (C10/C11) in order to decrese OLG and descovered that amplifier sounded worse. Hi OLG mode sounded more opened with more details!

What`s the catch??

Some data:
Q1 current 11.6mA
Q2 current 13mA
Total bias of output stage = 2A (1A per device)

1. I also tried 2SJ103BL low gm jfet for Q1 ( the only I could find here) and the sound was lot worse, kind a "muddy".

2. I descovered that lowering R6/R7 for higher Q1 gm sound better.

A few thoughts:
1) The phrase "low negative feedback" should be followed by "wide bandwidth." What is the open loop bandwidth of your circuit? If your circuit has, say, 1kHz open loop bandwidth and you're counting on 26dB of feedback to increase that to 20kHz, you're going to be disappointed with the results if you use less feedback.
2) As a corollary, a circuit has to be built from the ground up to be low feedback; trying to do it after the fact doesn't usually work well. Most people design in too much gain and once it's there it's hard to get rid of without resorting to feedback. Yes, you can toss in emitter resistors and such and degenerate the gain, but then you throw off the operating points and things get confused. Which leads to->Putting in a JFET as a drop-in replacement isn't likely to produce good results--everything else has to be adjusted to fit.
3) Assuming that the closed loop gain of an amplifier remains constant, higher open loop gain directly translates as higher negative feedback. More negative feedback generally leads to a "tinkly" or "brighter" sound in the upper midrange that some people associate with "detail." A quick trip to a concert hall will show that instruments don't really sound like that--even close up. That doesn't mean that the sound isn't popular, though. Plus it's an easy way to meet specs.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.