• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Changing a tube amp...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I have already posted on building a gainclone . However, cleaning up some stuff in the attic I came across a Garrard recordplayer I still had lying around. The player itself is a SP20, which is not really nice, or so I have been told. However, it does also house a tube amp. The question then is, is that usable at all?
  • Can I pull it out (that means smashing the casing as most of the wood is glued together) and use it to amplify something else?
  • How do I make it suitable to amplify a CD player?
  • Is this something a beginner can do? -with a bit of forum help...
  • Or would I just be better off selling the Garrard for peanuts and buy a chip from the money?

Update:

Through the TNT-Audio list Peter Boser replied to tell me he found out more on my Garrard. You can find it here: http://www.grammofoon.com/frameset....om/Garrard/garrard_sp20derby.htm&ContentFrame[/url]

After careful consideration (and a great tip from Peter), I did decide I wanted to test it and hooked up my laptop to the Garrard. 1967 meets 2007. Forty years separate these machines, but with a din to 3.5mm jack they could talk together. And boy, did they do that. I had to talk a friend of mine into bringing me an old speaker I left at her place ages ago, because that had the old DIN loudpeaker plug needed for the Garrard. Luckily she brought some spare ones as well, so I could hook up an old set of JBL's I have sitting around. Now, I have a smile on my face the size of an old vinyl record. (No, i did not trust the needle on the SP20, so I did not try an record on it.)

First impressions:
- The adjusters for volume, balance, treble and bass are worn. They creak and sometimes if you tap them, they work better. There is room for improvement there.
- The sound was pretty nice and after warming up a bit, it worked with the JBL's with ease.
- There is a lot of work to be done

What is up next? Well, let's get it out of the box it has been in since 1967.
- It will need new adjusters and some of the old ones will need to go.
- It will need to get new speaker terminals
- New input terminals
- A new euro spec connector for the mains
- A new mains cable
- And I will need to find it a new case

Funny, someone just made me an offer of 40 euro's... I think I am going to pass on that... ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Garrard Derby Stereo as it has been since 1967...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.