DIY speakers in Australia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I have taken this question from another thread.
What is the chance of a gathering of fools and addicts here in Australia, to admire each others attempts at audio nirvana, talk to each other face to face and learn some new stuff and improve some things we already do well.
I have just asked "Herself" and she is prepared to host some of the week-end here, we don't have much room to spare but a do have a vacant bungalow, biggish back yard and a BBQ area for dinner.
If any-one thinks this could be a good idea, perhaps we could chat here before taking it furher, Damn the "Tyranny of Distance" and thousand kilometre trips between state capitals and $2.00 a litre petrol
Ted

A great idea Moondog, I would love to go but.... Google earth tells me it's 3300km as the crow flies. By road I expect about 6000km because there aren't any roads through the middle.
Please document it well and stick it on a web page, It will be great to see some of the DIY stuff being built in Australia.

this would be great moondog, guess we need a bit more info first, like how many in each state etc, I'm in NSW. (bathurst)

edit;just saw I has that info in my signature anyway duhh

Would look you up next time I'm in melb anyway Ted.

From vague memory there are a few DIY audio guys up around Newcastle way, a distance that I'm perfectly willing to travel for example.

Maybe a few regional type ones can happen before 'one big one' etc.

Anyway let's see what expressions of interest we get here, I have my fingers crossed!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Weellll!!!!!!!!!!! we could always meet somewhere in the middle, Alice Springs is central to all of us, ie: equally far away from every-one but that is perhaps unrealistic.
Perhaps a shared event with some-one else? what do we need? a space out of the weather, some security? power? 3 days avaliable to make it worth our while?
I know nothing about event management and I hope for lots of input here
If nothing else eventuates, my partner and I are willing to host a long week-end here in Melbourne! Moomba any-one???

Ted, many variations on a theme I suppose!

I may as well throw my hat into the ring, our place is big enough to put say fifteen /twenty people up in beds...and being on sixteen acres there is plenty of camping available.

Still, early days in this yet, let's see who els put's their hand up.

From my experience Melbourne seems to be THE place in Aus for hi fi, the first thing to happen could very well be down your way, tho maybe newcastle and it's environs is also a hotbed of activity??

May as well make it an Aussie show and tell for those of us too far from anywhere. I'm in the Pilbara region of WA, if theres anyone else from this part of the world please stick your hand up.

My first speakers I've built (apart from a few car stereo installs)
Rather wonky because the table saw I used was out of whack.

Cabinets are called "Singular" from the BD design website, kind of a TL sort of.
Drivers are Fostex FE207E with planet 10 phase plugs and a heap of goo stuck on the basket to damp it. FT17H super tweeters, Outboard crossovers currently at 10kHz 12dB/oct but I'm still fiddling with them. I haven't got the gear built to measure them yet. They are great on vocals & acoustic music. Bass is huge for an 8 inch driver. You need to sit in the right place to listen to them, they sound odd off axis.
I haven't bothered finishing them because I'm going to re-box the drivers into the Spawn of Frugal horn Bruce cabinets. In the bottom of the shot is my tweaked playstation about to be tested after mods.
Any DIYAUDIO people up this way are welcome to the cabinets once I have the new ones built.

Attachments

• singular with ft17h.jpg
    singular with ft17h.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,175
I've had a few guys from the Newcastle area drop by, and a few from Sydney as well.

If anyone is dropping through the Newcastle area, I can usually find time.

Maybe I'll get time if I'm in Melborne at any time, but I've been in Hobart a couple of times and still not managed to catch up with the couple of audio guys down there

Trouble with Aust is that we all live in this little strip around the coast, because nowhere else is sensible, and that really does put us a long way apart !!

As for Mackay, sorry, but darn the offer of a beer sound good, I'd need it after that drive !!! !!!

stevodude said:
don't suppose there's any aussi audio dudes round Mackay?... :)
not that I have anything 'audio nut' quality :), but like to listen to different systems... oh and beer & cigars :)

Townsville here, but was actually in Mackay over the weekend funnily enough. Nothing "audio nut" quality here either, just my dodgy DIY floorstanders and amp.

If only I was at uni still..........days and days of free time for speaker building :D

Hi Moondog, yeah l've been to a couple of gtg's in Melbourne and they were good fun....they're guys who frequent dtv forum & Stereonet.......l have to catch up with them again as a couple of them have just upgraded to sgr $40,000 active speakers and by all accounts they are incredible ( as they should be for that price :D ) lol , they are a friendly lot and like a drink too!

Good to hear there's lots of people keen on this stuff in oz :)

Myself and another forum member have infinite baffle subwoofers if anyone has the urge to build one but wants a listen first they are welcome to have a listen anytime , mines a 4x18" avalanche and the other guys is 2x18" and 2x15" .........

cheers Ken

Whoes out there

Okay, including me that’s 11 speaker builders (or those interested) in Australia so far, pretty sparse in both numbers and location.

Moondog55, OzMikeH, terry j, stevodude, OzMikeH, Andy Graddon, rabbitz, Brisso57, phreeky82, kesa32 and greenie512

As Brisso57 says we’re trying to get something up and running in Brisbane but having the same problem of lack of numbers. Would the above be interested in submitting their names, town, email addresses and interests/projects (say max 200 words) for me to create a Database/List which I’ll distribute to those on the list? At least we’ll have some idea of who/what’s happening.

If I get enough responses I’ll then trawl suggested other forums to rake a few more names into the list.

Cheers - Phil
http://www.greenie512.net

Re: Whoes out there

greenie512 said:

As Brisso57 says we’re trying to get something up and running in Brisbane but having the same problem of lack of numbers. Would the above be interested in submitting their names, town, email addresses and interests/projects (say max 200 words) for me to create a Database/List which I’ll distribute to those on the list? At least we’ll have some idea of who/what’s happening.

If I get enough responses I’ll then trawl suggested other forums to rake a few more names into the list.

Cheers - Phil
http://www.greenie512.net

Sure Phil. I'll compose my precis tonight.

Doug

Greenie512:
I must be special, I was mentioned twice, just don't tell me what kind of special.

Exurbia:
That'll be red dog round these parts Mate... No brown dogs here, No Baltic Birch to be had either! :bawling:
I'm down the airport end of town. Must arrange to say G'day, hmm junk, do you want a UPS? only needs new batteries and a reset. A pair of MDF Singular cabinets going soon too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.