Cyclops Loudspeaker Photo's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is Cyclops. My first loudspeaker project.

Attachments

• cimg2639_1.jpg
    cimg2639_1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,404
Hartono,

I made cyclops during my foundation year at art college and was able to make full use of the sculture studio and materials. The stuff I ended up using was concoction of plaster of paris and "sculptamold" mixed in dilute PVA.

"Sculptamold" is simular to papier-mache only much easier to use,it dries in about 30mins. Plaster of paris by its self would have made cyclops far too heavy and brittle.As it is, I can lift and carry cyclops.The concoction turned out to be very stronge and has so far showed no signs of deteriation.
"Scultamold" really is a very versatile product which I think loudspeaker builders could make great use of.

Cilla

Cal,
Yes. The material was applied by my own fair hands over a mould that I had to make first.

The baffle is in 2 sections: 5ml ply and 15ml cork. The ply was first stuck to the chamber using "no nails glue",the cork was stuck down using a rubber based glue; the whole thing was then secured with screws.The cork makes a marvellous surface for the drive unit, its giving nature creates an air tight seal and has great damping properties.

Hartono,

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Cilla

Cal,

Making the mould was the hardest bit of the project.

First off, I made a skeleton of the horn out of wire meshing. This consisted of many cone like pieces nestled together to produce the required profile and expansion rate, when I was satisfied it was fine, I wrapped the whole thing up in strips of paper that were well soaked in dilute PVA.Then.....when the paper had fully dried and became hard, I decided on using papier-mache to create the final form and structural integrity.The advantage of papier-mache (at least in this case) is that it shrinks,so it would create a nice tight skin. Unfortunately,papier-mache can only be worked wet into wet.The thing would have been too unwieldy to cover in one go, so I cut it into sections.

The sections took days to dry out, but I was very pleased with how they turned out.

:)

Finally it was then a simple matter of rejoining them; then.....BINGO! a mould.

Cilla

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Hi Cilla
just been directed to this thread, I'm a total novice to sculpture but I am interested in casting speaker enclosures using similar product.
Could you please help a novice in how to make the mould and then the unmoulding process??

I like "Cyclops" but I'm thinking of something a little less ambitious

Kind regards
Ted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.