Optimal Port Placement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I understand there was a recent post here regarding front or rear port.

I wanted to elaborate on that question, as i am wondering myself, what the 'rules' are in terms of port placement. I have never completely understood front vs. rear port placement.

I'm designing a set currently, and was wondering where to place the port. I know that downward firing ports produce good dispersion and rear ports do eliminate further mid-range leak. But want to know how i should determine where the port is placed.

Thanks for any help.

The only information I've read on the matter is that:
A front vent is prone to produce audible "breathing", especially if the vent has inadequate diameter.
A back vent is eliminating this but is more difficult in placement as the enclosure should not be close to the back walls.
A downward firing vent combined with purpose built stands is good as the stands ensure there is nothing obstructing the vent.

There is also the possibility of an upward firing vent, although I've never read about that placement. I do have a vintage B&W subwoofer with a vent firing upwards when the unit is in the upright position.

Juggy said:
I'm guessing that with an upward firing port there is not boundry re-inforcement. With a downward firing port there is a boundry quite close by. Same with putting the port lower on the front or back of a speaker.

Let me qoute from the first link i posted about OA58
"...The OA-58 like all other OA speakers shall be placed against a wall. The room is a part of the design of the speaker where the bass-boost supplied by the wall is included in the design in order to have a correct sound-reproduction. "

I read somewhere that a dowwnfiring port could make the port to appear longer due to reflected air.
But it was considered a small problem.

Guess its all about implementation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.