turntable motors...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
we're in the same predicament. check out the maxon motors that teres uses (special for them, they say)

i was actually searching for some answers yesterday and this is what i saved that came from vinyl asylum

"Depends what you need.Do you need a whole kit or can you build everything yourself if you purchase only the bare motor?On which type of turntable do you want to mount it?
The www.teresaudio.com site sell the whole complete set for $375 plus shipping but it is compatible only as a stand alone unit.Look them up.Their motor is sourced from Maxon of Switzerland and the catolog number appears in their website. Maxon DC motors are sold by the company or their distributors. The motors which are relevant for turntable use are #110189( the one sold on the teres site),the
2326-942-12-111-050 and the 2326-949-12-111-050.These last 2 models are a few years old(about 4-5 yrs).The 949 version is the best of the three.You will need a simple regulator like the LM338 to obtain perfect stability of the speed.You will also need a precision pulley.
There are two excellent articles on the subject in two old magazines of Sound Practices, #10 and #11. There is also lots of info on the teres site if you have the patience to go through all the relevant emails.
I purchased the 942 version as a bare motor from the agent in Israel(that is where I live), and a very sophisticated variable stabilized DC power supply from a junkyard for peanuts.The teres guys(Chris Brady)sold me one of their excellent pulleys which I fitted on my motor.
The price of these motors(the 942 which I purchased- and the type which teres use) in Israel is around $85.If you decide to build your own and have trouble sourcing a motor, email me and I will try to help you out.The price of shipping from Israel is relatively cheap.
Have fun."

nerd of nerds,

>>hello, i was wondering what kind of motor i should use in a turntable...i >>was wanting to build a cheap one to experiment with...

I ordered a OriginLive motor with the regulator Pcb and installed it on my Thorens TD 145 ; the only thing was to build a 8 Volts DC power Supply
The motor is fitted with a pulley, and the regulator has 2 pots to adjust the
speed in 33 and 45 tr/min ; easy to install. No humm, good stability results on 33 and 45 tr on a flip of a switch.

I don't remember the cost, but I can check if needed.

Regards.

Alain.

sooooo...

is there a specific type of dc motor i need to use?

also, i am new to the whole turntable thing and was wondering what all i'm going to need in the electronics department...:cannotbe:

one of the reasons i'm doing this is because i HATE how poeple use the word digital...its on every ******ing thing!!! and i've know for some time that analog was better...

kewl, thanks!!!!

nerd of nerds,

The motors used are DC cogless types in the range 8 to 24 volts
Speed about 150/300 tr/min depending of the pulley size

for the power needed about 10 to 20 watts for a light platter
to 20 to 30 watts for a heavy one.

I have been searching for about 1 year ; I am going to build a TT
with the arm a schroeder style ...

but first I have to finish my preamplifier and then my phono pre.

Regards.

Alain.

I have spent a few months building a t/t using the same type of motor as Rega/Notts Analogue i.e. 'premotec' a/c motor- and using the lowest power available. This seems to work very well on the NA turntables and my own (platter is 3.5 inches deep made of solid/dense wood with lead shot inserts) - the motor is incapable of starting the platter but after a little flick it will sustain the speed (confirmed by ear and using the strobe from John Daniel).

These motors do appear on ebay from time-to-time - but of course the pulley may not be correct for your needs. The pulley I made (out of wood) took some time to machine / sand to size - mainly because I got my calculations wrong!

Have fun!

Can you give a good explanation why this makes them unsuitable?

FWIW high torque usually means high vibration and most modern belt drives prefer relying on inertia rather than torque. Some are not even capable of starting the platter on their own or have to switch to higher current at strart-up. It seems that after reaching certain inertia of the platter the drive system becomes a lot less important as long as it stays quiet.

Whoever disigned my 301 was obviously not aware of this theory :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
The motor in the 301 isn't a synchronous motor, so it has smoother rotation. Its own flywheel effect at 1500rpm with a heavy core is significant and able to override/smooth the applied rotating magnetic field. Conversely, synchronous motors have a light rotor spinning at 250rpm that are locked (synchronous) to the rotating magnetic field. Reducing the voltage applied to a 301 motor reduces vibration, but I expect you knew that..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.