Anybody tried FAL drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I received today a pair of FAL drivers to try out. They look very interesting. The membrane material looks like styrofoam.

Attachments

• f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2,020
It indeed looks like FLAT C however it says Flat on the drivers, maybe the magnets were upgraded to C versions, but I'm not sure. Also, the prices from Bentaudio are much lower than $3000/pc, however, you would need to contact them directly for more details. I got those on loan, just to try out.

I was recently looking for some good drivers, Fertin and Supravox being considered, however, somebody from Europe (seems like FAL are more popular there ) suggested FALs. Since Bentaudio is North American distributor, I arranged for an audition.

I installed them already in my system. In the basement I'm using drivers mounted in a wall separating too rooms, so it's sort of infinite baffle arrangement. Normally, I have Raven 2 tweeter running above 12, or so, with first order crossover and Triangle midbass running full range. PHL driver on the bottom, crossed 1st order from top, runs below 1K and provides bottom end filling in.

With FAL, I disconnected both midbass units, Raven left as originally and FAL running full range (they supposedly work up to 10k). My first impression: amazing bass, really deep and well controlled. Seems better than what I had previously from two 6" units in parallel.

I can detect some coloration in a midrange. I'm not sure what it is but reminds me of the horns. Also, my GC runs in a bridged configuration at +/-34 V and combining it with 4 ohm driver may not be a good idea. All in all, FAL seems like an interesting driver and I'm going through very interesting listening experience. Now I imagine running two of those drivers per channel may provide quite amazing low end. No surprising that Japanese at the show placed sign "No Subwoofer here" ;)

One other thing, it plays equally well with Holly Cole or Klinik.

Attachments

• fla.jpg
    fla.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,189
I had a chance to listen to the FAL drivers in their showroom in Tokyo. I was very impressed with the 3" model mounted in a BR. One of the best single-driver speakers I've heard. Although the comparison might be unfair because I've never listen to any other drivers in that price range ($1000 a piece). I didn't know how much they cost when I was listening. I planned on buying a set if they were less than $500 for a pair.

Attachments

• fal1.jpg
    fal1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,439
LaMa said:
Peter, do you have some additional listening impressions? Is it worth the effort (and money) to pursuit these drivers?

Originally I've replaced the MTM Triangle/Raven combo with FAL/Raven. Following some suggestions, I was initially using FAL full range, but for some reason, I couldn't get into that sound completely, as some strange coloration and ringing was always present. Finally, I measured FAL and they had some terrible picks and dips, but this characteristic indicated perfect candidate for low pass application below 2.7kHz. So last weekend I installed a coil (0.82mH) in series with the FAL and I changed the ribbons to Aurum Cantus GS1 (they are more durable at lower frequencies). While previously Ravens were used above 12k, this time AC were down to 3k (with a single 6.8uF cap crossing). I placed the ribbons somewhat to the center, because it was only available support space around ( I also attenuated them a bit with 10R series Holco 1/2W resistor). This combination appears to be very good, and so far, those are the best speakers I've heard in my house, truly a curtain has been lifted.

This week I bought the FAL pair I had on loan.

Attachments

• fal.jpg
    fal.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,103
Fertins are still in a box. I need to remove FALs first from that wall (separating two rooms), and then Fertins will go there.

The FALs with Aurum Cantus ribbon will go between two Focal Audiom woofers for a true full range speakers http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=646852#post646852

I'm presently building new mid/high enclosure to accomodate FAL and AC.

One advantage of flat diaphragms is that every point of the diaphragm can be close to the voice coil, making possible a very low moving mass. The other ones that use this advantage are the Manger and the midrange drivers in the Elac and Thiel top of the line speakers. The latter two as coaxials also have the advantage that they don't form a waveguide for the tweeter. For a design with spider I don't see an advantage of a flat diaphragm. Not necessary to enumerate them all.

Odd. My assumption is that using a flat diaphragm would result in a HIGHER moving mass since you would lose the inherent rigidity of a cone shape and so have to make up for that by thickening the diaphragm or making some kind of sandwich material. But assumptions are fairly low value items!

Think about a diapragm that is driven by the same force at any point. Ideally no bending moment is produced.
With the Manger it is a bit different. It is a bending wave transducer, but the diapragm is so light that a longer voice coil with spider would substantially increase the moving mass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.