Alpine Cd Changer Pinout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK Alpine gurus, here's a good one: I have a 7618 HU that has both the 8-pin DIN connector and RCAs for the cd changer input. I want to be able to disable the L&R signals coming through the DIN connector and activate the RCA inputs instead. The reason id that I want to be able to connect them to the L+R outputs of a DVD player for a Mobile theater.

So my question is this: Which pin do I play with to do this? And what do I do? Pull it up to V+? Ground it? Pull up with a resistor? Ground w/resistor? Help! :confused: :confused: Thanks a bunch!

Steve

Originally posted by...ME!: So my question is this: Which pin do I play with to do this? And what do I do? Pull it up to V+? Ground it? Pull up with a resistor? Ground w/resistor? Help! Thanks a bunch! ]

I guess I need to clarify my question: Which pin do I play with? The Data-bus Pin? Leave the L & R inputs open? (assuming the head unit's input section can auto-sense which inputs are being use and switch accordingly).

I am clear on the pin-out of the 8-pin DIN connector, just not clear on which pin to use? (and how to use it: pull-up, pull-up w/resistance, pull-down, or pull-down w/resistance, or leave open).

First and foremost, I would investigate the function of the unmodified alpine unit. Does it allow for source switching without a source attached? Or is only CD and radio enabled without a CD changer hooked up?

If you can select a CD changer source or an AUX source, then it should be much easier than performing deeper modifications.

I know that for some older radios, external sources must be selected in a menu rather than an "autosensing" kind of feature.

White-

I assume you mean "Tape and radio" w/o the cd changer connected (as opposed to "CD and radio", right? If so, you are correct: the CD functions are not available when the changer is disconnected.

Juice-

What is a 7620? I have never seen this model. I know that Alpine was famous for coming out with some pretty kicka$$ models and not advertising them. Result, no on e bought them because they didn't know that they existed. Do you have and pics of them? if so, please please please post or send me an email.

guys-

I have come up with a stop-gap idea: place a switchbox inline with the changer feed to the head unit. Allowing all the lines EXCEPT the L, R, and Signal GND pass through, I would switch these lines with aux L&R RCA jacks, where I could feed in anything (DVD, MP3, etc.). Since this tap is before the volume & tone controls, it would be just like another input source. Thoughts?

The 7620 is the model above the 7618 and looks very similar in appearance and I have seen quite a few of these units in the comp seen when they were current.
I know people in the industry that still regard this model as the best radio/cassette that Alpine ever made!!!
I will see if I can dig up a pic, I still have the catalogue of this series showing both models.
With your idea I think that you would need to have cd's loaded in the changer and spinning for it to work but try it and find out and post your results.
Cheers, Junglejuice...

I'll look into it tomorrow, I have a 7618r running with a 5957s changer and a 3900 dac. (Just got hold of a Momo/Alpine steering wheel too - remember the one with the remote in its centre? :cool:

It's in the wifes car, and she is back tomorrow, so I'll have a play around then, I do remember a blitzsafe adaptor I have doing something I just want to check which one!

Rod.

I searched for and downloaded several pics of the 7620R. Pretty kicka$$. Is it a DigitalMax controller, too? My setup consisted of a 7618, 3681, 4381, CHM-S620, 4 x 3522Ss, and one 3527S. I never could get the F-R fader on the 3681 to work. It sucked because I had no equalization, and no fading. What was pretty cool, was the ability to change the virtual location of any of the drivers by pressing few buttons.

Yes it is supposed to be digimax as well but I have never had the digital unit to go with it.
I run a 3544 2x150 and the 3554 4x50 amps and have a spare 3554 and a 3552.
I also run the 3331 indash eq which is my crossover as well but I have no need for a fader as I haven't run rear speakers for about 13-14 years now....
I find that the cha-634 Ai-net stacker works well with it as it has very similar specs to the 5959 stacker which was the top unit in it's time and I like the mp3 option and luckily I can use the Ai-net stacker with the M-bus head unit....

Was just lookin' at the 3681 user's manual last night and tried to see if there was anything I might've missed in enabling the fader circuitry in the processor, but don't really see anything. Also, since I'm not prepared to give up fading control and dash-mounted crossover control, I'm sticking with the 3331 EQ/X-over. Still working on the aux input thing, though..............

Yeah, why not. My buddy used to use the ERE-G180, essentially a 3331 with the BBE Sonic Maximizer. I briefly had a 3318, but it was a bit noisy from the small DC-DC in it. But its dancing LED display was pretty cool.

I think the 3331 is all I really need 'cuz it's got the pre-fader, non-fading sub out (either stereo or mono, 0 or 180 degrees), continuously adjustable x-over freq range from 50Hz to 250Hz(??), and x-over bypass. All in a 1" x 7" package.

Old car just died, so I picked upa 1993 Hinda Accord in pristine condition with only 82K (135,750km) miles on it! Its radio/spkrs suck, so out they come and in will go the 7618, 3331, and 3527S (4 x 25Wrms) for now. I plan to put my sub box in the rear with a dedicated 3522S (80W bridged) for each of the two sub drivers.

I plan to use the audio interrupt from the changer to the head unit to allow DVD audio, or my 2M / 440MHz dual-bander to be played through the system.

Not really. If you ask all the old-schoolers, they will only use the stuff that was made in Japan, not Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, or communist China.

I really don't like the stuff after they discontinued the 7618, because it all got cheaper (the CDA-7990 F1 Status is the only exception). All my amps, EQs, headunits, ch shuttles, and pre-pros are the old-school stuff.

And, of course, I will post my results and maybe send an .mpeg file. Does the 7620 have the neat little demo mode the 7618 has?

Ha! That's their problem. As for me, I'm happy as a clam with my old-school stuff, 'cuz I know it works today, and will work another 15 yrs from now, 'cuz that's the way it was built.

To start the demo mode, push the D DISP button on the extreme right-hand side. The dot-matrix portion of the LCD display will start scrolling, rt-to-left, the promotional verbiage of the 7618. It's pretty cool.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.