My 2-year-old pushed in the dustcaps on my 12" ATCs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 2-year-old pushed in the dustcaps on my 12" ATCs

They are not torn, and I'm thinking of trying to suck them back out by cutting a plastic funnel to fit over them and sucking.

I've seen vacuum cleaners mentioned in other threads, but that seems too powerful.

Anyone have experience with fixing this?

The sad part is that I just had them reconed and was getting ready to drop them in boxes.

Kids and dustcaps seem to be a common problem. Maybe it's the bullseye look...

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
hi houstonian
normal vacuum creates too much suction, but if you somehow regulate it
i have an old vacuum cleaner, which has rotating thingy on the nozzle, which by turning it opens side inlet thus decreases suction from main inlet, allowing to clean curtains and such, which would normally be sucked in

other option, which I applied before with success, is to punch tiny hole in the middle, and inserd L shaped wire and pull
sure it will leave tiny hole in the middle of dust cap but that does not affect performance, many speakers have hole there to releave pressure

btw, talking about dust cap, my friends son, when they are visiting, is allways fascinated with my Lowthers and allways goes right after the phase plug, it is like a magnet for him, fortunately phase plug is stationary and touching it does not damage speakers, but it makes me a little nervous

hi houstonian,

I've successfully used the centre carboard tube from a roll of paper towel three times now for my 8 inch vifas. (note to self - really must make a grill ). I just placed my mouth over one end, located the other over the dustcup and gently sucked. I think this is pretty much safer than any vacuum cleaner as you have total control over the pressure.

There was some very slight marks on the cap where the edge of the dents were but I found that these dissappeared after some time (hours or days, didn't take any notice)

Try this first. Find a tube that is a good fit. Simple and safe.

Cheers, Kim

kimbo said:
I've successfully used the centre carboard tube from a roll of paper towel three times now for my 8 inch vifas. (note to self - really must make a grill ). I just placed my mouth over one end, located the other over the dustcup and gently sucked. I think this is pretty much safer than any vacuum cleaner as you have total control over the pressure.
What a great idea!

kimbo said:

I did the same thing, but with a 2.5" diameter port tube.

I've used a needle bent into an "L" shape in the past.

Yes, it leaves a very small hole but it lets you pull with some force if you need to. Between the needle and massaging, I've been able to pull out some that I didn't think I was going to be able to save.

Touch up the very small hole when finished with glue or rubber cement and you're done...

I would also second the duct tape option as I've used that as well with success on woofers. Electrical tape for tweeters as the duct tape adhesive it too aggressive.

I don't think all ATC's have vented pole yokes my 15 inch drivers did not have a vent on the rear.

If you do have a vent then you could huff and puff down the vent and maybe pop the dust cap back out.

You get ATC to send you a new dust cap, just carefully remove the old one and glue on the new one:)

Hey, it happened again to me only last weekend. 2YO pushed in a dustcap on one of my 8inch vifas. This time I used a ten inch length of polypipe about 1 3/4 dia, cut square in a mitre box, and sanded smooth. It fitted perfectly around the outside of the dustcap. I just gently put it against the cap, sucked at the other end with my mouth.......and pop. Out goes the dint. Really, it works a treat! I encourage you to try this method first.

And yes, I went out yesterday and bought some cloth so I'll have some grills by Sunday.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Besides sucking with a drinking straw or tube, you could also try some sticky tape to try to pull it out.
I have had success with pushing next to the dent with the eraser end of a pencil to pop it back out. Usually the dome is not as fragile as you think and finds its original shape a few days after being popped out.
Then there always(?) the disassembly route, but this is not as sporting.

Do you have any idea if the original sound could be affected?
I think I pushed a little bit on the tweeter with the tube.....don't know how much but I'm worried whether I could damage it by pushing it 1-2mm of excursion(which is a lot for a tweeter.) or by decentering it.
I don't feel much difference with music, but you know, it's that feeling of wanting to have something new, in mint condition.
Any idea how to check if there's a difference in sound between the left and the right tweeter?

Thanks, guys!

Give it a few days.........as Tosh said, any remaining traces of the dint will probably totally go away after a while. Mine did in a day or so. No change to the sound (after it happening twice in my woofer!) I'm pretty sure you'll be OK with the tweeter too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.